Sunday, February 03, 2008

Now Let's Just Draft Darren McFadden ...

I heard somebody lost tonight.

For two weeks, one of the common things I heard among those who wanted to see the New England Patriots win Super Bowl XLII and go 19-0 was that they wanted to witness history.

Well, every time I scratch my ass I make history. Everything's a part of history. But it wouldn't be the first time a guy scratched his ass. Or the first time a team went undefeated.

However, tonight was a first that will be recorded in the annals of NFL history: It's the first time in NFL history that a team with a perfect record went to the Super Bowl and lost.

The last time a perfect team went to the Super Bowl?

The 1972 Miami Dolphins.

And who's the last and only perfect team to win the Super Bowl?

The 1972 Miami Dolphins.

Some will say, "You know, the Patriots went 18-0, so they won more games than when the '72 Dolphins went 17-0 after the Super Bowl when there were only 14 regular-season games."

To that I say that it's a whole lot different winning that last game. The one that, when all is said and done, matters the most whether you had no losses or six losses (like the Giants had).

And I also realize that I say this in the aftermath of the 2007 Dolphins managing to win one game.

But I do know that when Eli Manning threw that touchdown with less than a minute to go up 17-14, I was watching the Super Bowl in 2008 and there was the helmeted Dolphin flashing on the screen with a brief retrospection of the only franchise to ever finish a championship season undefeated.

It was a long time ago, yes (and it was a year before I was born). But it's important, because the accomplishment is one that outshines every Super Bowl winner up until this point -- no matter how many times a team has won it or by how much or by how little or by what singularly spectacular play.

And with that I'll leave this historic occasion with the words of Mercury Morris, the great Dolphins running back who complimented Larry Csonka in the backfield during that '72 season and tonight is popping the cork on the annual ceremonial champagne toast to the last undefeated team going down:

Like I said, don't call me when you're in my town, call me when you're on my block, and I see you next door moving your furniture in ... ... and if you win it, I'll be dressed up in a tuxedo waiting on my bride.


4 comments:

Jay said...

The '72 Dolphins remain the only perfect team in NFL history. I think that's the way it should be.

Miami is going to trade that #1 pick to the Cowboys for their two first rounders and a couple of players. Then the Cowboys will draft D-Mac. I don't think I'm happy about that for some reason though. But, at least it's not the Raiders.

eric said...

maybe a good decision, but i sure would love to have him.

he's going to be iconic.

Rusty said...

This is one time I'd rather have an accomplishment of the Dolphins stand.

Nobody can call them the greatest team in NFL history now, and that makes me feel like all is right in the world.

Rusty said...

I mean to say that nobody can call the Patriots* the greatest team in history.