Sunday, May 20, 2007

Starlight, Star Bright




Have you ever felt like the moon was watching you?

The same with the stars? And the planets that shine like stars?

Me neither.

But as I drove home a little before 11 p.m. last night, firmly arrested in my own head space and hearing my son implore me, "Daddy, it's not about if you win or lose, it's about how hard you play" ...

... I looked up to the sky.

"Asa, look at the moon and that star. I bet it's Venus. Isn't it beautiful? "

Last night offered the semi-rare opportunity to gaze upward and see the brightest planet in the sky shining just to the left of a crescent moon cradling the faint, grayish glow of the new moon.

There they were, these two grand actors on an expansive stage.

Watching us together as we watch them together.

Two who are an arm's length away but so far apart ... watching two who are millions of miles from each other but sharing a magnificent celestial intimacy.

It's an endless sky up there on a scale grander than we can totally grasp, but one thing's for certain: We're all in this together.

*thanks for the picture, corky*

7 comments:

captain corky said...

Very nice. I took the sam pic (only from Kentucky) but yours came out much nicer.

eric said...

no, it's a photoshop. i could only go off memory to write because i didn't have my camera. but i wanted some visual aid after i wrote about it.

Tink said...

I think everyone was watching the night sky this weekend. It almost commanded it. Hoop and I couldn't figure out what the "star" was. Led to a very dirty conversation about the space station. What's new though. ;)

Jay said...

If it weren't cloudy and rainy I would go outside and sit and stare at the stars for while after this post.

Melissa said...

Ah, I love that sight in the sky, especially when Venus is nestled smackdab in the moon's curve, like this.

eric said...

just about everyone i talked to noticed it. i bet even the video gamer geeks who never leave their rooms saw it.

dan said...

it was a great sight and even encouraged me to get my telescope out for my girlfriend.

it's been along time since i've shown a girl my telescope in the garden at night.

unfortuantely my telescope, as big as it is, wasn't working properly.

the viewfinder was out of zero.