Tuesday, May 22, 2007

'Don't Worry, You've Got A While'

I have conversations with myself.

I'm not afraid to admit it.

I'm not talking about when I'm taking out my contacts and sometimes stare at myself in the mirror and say, "You suck." It's not that I don't do that. I do. I do it to make fun of myself. Then I laugh. How narcissistic is that?

(Don't answer that. Because then I'm having a conversation with you in your head and then forcing you talk to yourself).

No, I'm talking about those moments in your head where you think in conversations.

Here's an example of one:

I'll be doing some menial, frustratingly painstaking task and wonder, "What if hell were me having to do this for the rest of eternity?"

Or, I'll imagine a seemingly impossible task, like, say, "What if hell were me having to figure out how to bounce this tennis ball into a hole 76 feet away -- off four buildings, a beer bottle and a homeless guy who happens to be traveling by at .0001 kilometers per hour?"

The good news (I think) is that I always assume the best.

I assume that I'll somehow manage to figure it out, if given an eternity to do it.

Anything's possible over the course of eternity, right?

Wait, don't answer that.

13 comments:

Katie said...

For some reason this topic reminds me of this torture technique where the agressors let individual drops of water drip-drip-drip on a person's forehead. Supposedly you can go crazy from that. Sounds like Hades to me, for sure.

p.s.-That graphic is cool...very 80's cartoon-ish.

dan said...

unfortunately, it's always the left side of my brain arguing with the right side.

Anonymous said...

If you wear a disconnected Blue Tooth, you can hold those conversations out loud. It will be assumed that you are talking to someone else. If people look at you funny, just tap your finger on the Blue Tooth, then put your finger to your lips and mime the "shhhh" signal.
Who's gonna know?

captain corky said...

"I do it to make fun of myself. Then I laugh. How narcissistic is that"?

I'm sorry but I have to answer. I'm just glad you laugh instead of crying.

captain corky said...

That's really not an answer to your question though, so I guess I am complying with your wishes.

Rusty said...

I would never do this, but I think you're fine... as long as you don't wander into some rather ambiguous territory:

(and I know you do)

"What if I was a ballerina?"

Yeah. I went there.

Rusty said...

"What if I were a ballerina"*

eric said...

chinese water torture, katiebelle. almost as bad as the bamboo shoots under the fingernails.

dan, that's a good thing. it keeps you balanced.

leslie, that might be a good thing. if i did them out loud it might feel more real and i might realize how much time i waste on hypotheticals.

that would be an incredibly sad sight, corky. good pseudo-answer.

rusty ... you think i'm "fine?" is it because you're imagining me as a ballerina?

can't ... get ... leotards ... out ... of ... head ...

Rusty said...

Hey, you took it to the next level. Not me. No way, no how.

eric said...

ok.

well, you're my tiny dancer either way.

Anonymous said...

oh yes, and nice picture, old bean.

dan

Anonymous said...

I will talk out loud to make my self come to my senses when indulging in stupidity

kind of like CP-30 has a "if you'll not be needing me I'll shut down for a while" mechanism - I have a damage control centre that intervenes and tries to make me behave myself.

Just about to pour that last couple of shots of JD into one glass it'll kick in and say "this is not a good idea...."

damage control doesn't seem to have access to the actual physical action centre though - so it's more an advice line that files motions that rarely seem to be adhered to by the rest of the body.

hence the amount of scars I have.

Spo

eric said...

filing motions?

that's funny, man. that's totally what it's like. except, at least in my case, the judge isn't impartial.

there's a big conflict of interest there.