Friday, March 02, 2007

Continuity

You know how you just have that word or two you say differently than anyone else you know? It usually happens when you learned it solely from reading it.

Growing up, about all I read were comic books. I remember when my wife and I graduated college with journalism degrees and went to work at a newspaper together. She was a copy editor and I was a reporter.

I remember her telling me that I frequently used words and phrases that she had rarely heard. She seemed impressed with my vocabulary. And that was puzzling to her, because even when I was 23, I still read nothing but comic books.

I had always had focus problems growing up. I would read the same paragraph over and over, so I rarely read books. I got that problem fixed a couple of years ago and now find myself reading all the old classics that I neglected in school.

Whenever I hear people trash comic books and worry over their effect on young minds, I point to phrases like "test your mettle" and "drink a flagon of mead"-- and the fact that not only did I know what they meant, I knew how to spell all of them correctly.

No one uses those phrases, you say? Trust me, I've found a way.

Sure, there were useless terms like "reversing the polarity," which is a classic comic book phrase used to fix any problem that can't be easily explained -- unless, of course, you just reverse the polarity, in which case everything's explained.

Today, as I make a living in words, there are barely any noticeable traces of the medium I derived much of my vocabulary from. Most of it blends seamlessly.

Except for when I actually say some of these words.

Like the one that my wife likes to ridicule me for every time I say it.

It's the ever-present word in comic books used to describe how Superman can't be in Metropolis in "Action Comics #768" saving Lois when he's currently battling Brainiac in a parallel universe in "Adventures of Superman #159."

"Continuity."

Say it: "continue-ity."

Not: "kon-tuh-NU-ity."

Like how you would say "continuous."

Say it fast: "continue-ity."

See? "continue-ity."

Continuity.

16 comments:

dan said...

when i say it like that it just sounds like i'm being rude.

Melissa said...

Me too, Dan. How strange!

Rusty said...

I also have that problem, eric.

Jay said...

I've always had focus problems too. My reading comprehension is not all that good either. I never seem to remember much about what I just read.

eric said...

what? pronouncing words wrong or not being able to focus?

what were we talking about?

when i was 28, i finally allowed myself to get help for bi-polar disorder. in doing that. there is no cure for that, totally, but i can say my A.D.D. problems have been virtually wiped out ... at least as far as a focus and reading comprehension goes.

it's a pretty easy problem to fix, and you don't have to be crazy to have it fixed. :)

Cindy-Lou said...

I've totally been going back to re-read those books I was supposed to read in high school but didn't. Not because of ADD but because of boy-craziness. I just finished the Diary of Anne Frank and 1984. Among others.

eric said...

i read 1984 not long ago, too. it works great for "office space" type vocabulary.

freedom is slavery ... memory hole ... chocolate rations ...

Adamity73 said...

All I heard was the C-word. Sorry.

eric said...

what would that word be?

continue? continuous? continuing?

captain corky said...

"because even when I was 23, I still read nothing but comic books".

Story of my life Eric. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to vibrate my molecules just fast enough so that I can escape back to my own universe without doing any permanent damage to yours.

Knitty Yas said...

i found you through jay so blame him if you get infected.

comic books have not only warped my mind... but now i see stuff in many different sets of color schemes compared to the normal person who sees in primaries and secondaries. i also have learned a great deal... like never touch a meteor. never talk to naked shaking women alone on the side of a deserted road. never pick up strangers. never trust anyone with lightning bolts on their clothing.

never get close to a woman's lasso. never ask questions like "how the hell does that costume stay on?" understand that some types of fabric mixed with a human who has some type of super power ... allows that fabric to stay in place, no matter what crazy stunt that person is pulling.

oh and never let any colorful spiders near your bare skin.

eric said...

sounds like great advice.

i would also add that if you can run at the speed of sound or even close to light speed, the only way your face isn't torn off by a speck of dust is because you've got a mini force field protecting you. or you're running so fast you vibrate. you also need to eat a lot.

Knitty Yas said...

oh and when climbing largescale buildings, try not to leave muck all over the windows. those window washers work extremely hard.

and how is it that they can lift copious amounts of weight but a single punch to the gut doubles them over??? whats that about?

and do they wear cups under their tights? i've always wondered that.

eric said...

ahhh ... that's strength vs. invulnerability.

if you ever score yourself a genie, make sure you're strong and indestructible.

Anonymous said...

I always said mediocre as medi-oric until I was about 17 and someone finally pointed it out

eric said...

there you go, simon. that's exactly what i'm talking about. and i can see that one.