Wednesday, March 07, 2007

!!!!!!!

I have a problem with exclamation points.

They have to be one of the most overused and unnecessary tools in the English language.

Is there ever anything really that important?

Maybe. But somehow I suspect that things aren't really as important as the use of ... four !!!! ... exclamation points would lead us to believe.

Think of the prototypical massively passive-aggressive office memo: You see "PLEASE DON'T TOUCH THIS PILE OF PAPER!!!!!!" and you know that this person is desperate. You know you've got this person right where you want him or (usually) her.

These things are a sure sign that someone isn't confident that they can communicate effectively enough to be taken seriously.

A few years back, I wrote a newspaper article about this very subject. One of the guys I talked with (an English professor of some sort, I can't exactly remember) likened the exclamation point to a bludgeoning device. It even resembles a club or bat that you would beat somebody with.

Of course, I've been told my feelings about this just prove that I'm a cold, distant, miserable human being. That these things oftentimes are the best way to communicate happiness and approval.

That someone thinks what you or what you have to say is important without having to write "And let me tell you, I really think this is an important thing for you and you are important to me."

So that leads to another question: Is there anything to be that excited about?

I think there is. And I like the people who are that excited, because they're happy, and happy people are good.

The problem I have is that I struggle to communicate heartfelt happiness through written communication. You know, I've got to play it cool. What's that thing about cleverness that someone said once? Something about a witticism is the death of a truth?

I kill truth every day.

I've really put myself in an awkward position because of this.

When I respond to an email, I struggle with how to end it. Not the words, but the punctuation.

If I'm writing back a heartfelt "thanks" for work someone has done for me, putting an exclamation point after it -- "Thanks!" -- would really communicate my appreciation. If I put a simple period after it -- "Thanks." -- it can come across as overly formal, pretentious, unfeeling and maybe even rude.

But the problem remains.

I'm just not a happy-exclamation-point kind of guy.

So my solution has been simple.

Put nothing at the end.

Emailer: Eric, good job. I got your paperwork in and I'll pass it along to the right person later today.

Eric: "Thanks"

But it's never that simple. Sometimes, there's this:

Emailer: I went ahead and put you down for those free tickets. I'll put them on my desk and you can pick them up whenever you want. You can also have sex with my wife anytime you want.

What do I say?

"Thanks."

"Thanks"

No?

OK, OK. Yes, it deserves it. Yes, I have a soul.

"Thanks!"

19 comments:

Jay said...

Great post!!!! ;-)

Oh come one, you knew somebody was going to do that. I might as well go ahead and get it over with.

Anyway, I agree people sometimes are trying so hard to express themselves through their writing that they put the extra !'s on there. Since they can't use their hands and facial expressions they look for something else.

Tink said...

ITS EVEN WORSE WHEN THEY WRITE IN ALL CAPS AND THEN END IT WITH A WHOLE ROW OF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!s.

I think those people should be dragged into the street and shot. Or at least have their "!" and "Caps" keys removed. "I'm sorry. Your privileges have been revoked. Have a nice day."

Melissa said...

I question my use of exclamation points (is my statement flat without one? overboard with one?) and am pleased to learn there are others who struggle with punctuation on occasion.

But is there ever a need for more than one? Isn't the emphatic nature of the statement covered with a single exclamation point?

eric said...

jay ... you're right. that makes it hard not being able to judge inflection and body language. i guess that's where emoticons come in.

tink ... i really didn't mean this to make rules for other people, but there should be some kind of rule that you can't use words with all caps immediately together. the only use i see for them is when you say something like "i'm unlucky. i've got a cold AND a broken leg."

melissa ... that's a very good point. you really can't think of much of any instance where you need more than one. of course, i've got a friend who knows my thoughts on this and ends every sentence with at least seven of them.

captain corky said...

That "Cynical" Bastard Jay stole my line!!!

Anonymous said...

Such an insightful post!

Beth said...

I communicate with bullet points.

And I solved the "Thanks" at the end by:

Thanks,
Beth

Not necessarily perfect grammar, but I don't give a shit.

!!!!

Unknown said...

i guess all i can say is ... !!!!!

Rusty said...

You know you've got this person right where you want him or (usually) her. <---- rofl

I have the same problem. I usually just write MORE so I can avoid the exclamation.

Thanks becomes:

I really appreciate that. Thank you.

God, thank by itself is such an awkward looking word. Reminds me too much of thunk.

Ugh, now I feel dirty.

Unknown said...

yeah, i apologize in advance if that seems sexist, but it's just totally true. actually, i can't really apologize, but instead say that "i'm sorry you took it the wrong way. thanks"

that's totally what i do, too. more words ... and usually no emoticons, though sometimes depending on my mood.

Rusty said...

I intended it more along the lines of the "have them where you want them" as opposed to the gender thing. That's funny too.

God, I can tell it is Friday.

eric said...

oh, i know. i was just using the opportunity. a few more !!!! probably would have made that clear.

Spenser said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Spenser said...

The punctuation contemplation.. One of the many conundrums we fall victim of as intelligent man (not literal). Great post..!!

Unknown said...

you sound like a (young man) after my own heart, spenser.

Katie said...

Awesome post!!! (sorry, had to.)

I've noticed the same punctuation conflict at work. When I get into a series of emails/replies at the office, I never want to sign off with "Thanks!" because I feel like I run the risk of sounding too perky, and no one will take me seriously. But then, I feel like "Thanks." is kind of b*tchy. "Best," with a comma has been working well so far.

It really is the little things, isn't it? ;)

Katiebelle

Unknown said...

yes, it is!

Jake said...

Now we just have to tackle the problem of italics. ;p

Thanks for your words on the fatherhood bit. To be honest I'm completely terrified and happy at the same time. I know things will work out alright. Ashley (the mom) has a strong family thing going on here and they are going to help out while I start going to school. I need to get that going to set an example.

Tomorrow is the first ultrasound. I'm looking forward to that.

Sorry for using your comment section as a conversation platform. :)

eric said...

not a problem at all. i like it that way.

that mixture of happiness and terror is exactly the sign that you're on the threshold of change, and more importantly, aware of it.

i still can't believe you didn't tell me about your new site.

asshole.