Sunday, December 24, 2006

Ho, Ho, Hum




Walking through the mall in these last days before Christmas makes me thankful that I don't care much for Santa Claus. The picture line is one more long line I don't have to wait in.

A few days ago, I almost told my first grader that Santa Claus doesn't exist. But, at the last minute, I thought better of it.

Why? Maybe because it's too early. I don't know. Maybe because I don't want him to have to be one of those kids at school who has to always keep his mouth shut about Santa and sort of feel like an outsider as other kids engage in the fantasy of it all.

That's really about it, though. Otherwise I see no use for him. We might have Santa leave a toy or two here or there -- but there's no cookie, no milk, no proclamations about how magical Santa is, etc. I'm sure St. Nicholas was an OK guy, but he couldn't have seen all this coming.

There are a thousand lectures you can give and that we've all heard about the "real meaning of Christmas." About capitalism and alienation and only-once-a-year-charity and unnecessary stress and people who start everything too early and do too much ...

Those are nothing more than cliches now -- mostly because they're true.

But Santa seems impervious to it all. Untouchable. And there's every reason why he shouldn't be.

We're talking about a holiday celebrating the birth of what billions of people believe to be the savior for humankind and for themselves personally, in whatever manner it is that faith speaks to them. It's my belief that this belief is something you take or leave. And that's all that it is and all it was ever originally expressed to be. Anything beyond that, I believe, isn't faith at all. Maybe fear. Maybe power. But not faith.

It's difficult enough to have faith in the face of life's trials. Yet, we seem to try make it harder by confusing our children with Santa Claus and his sanctimonious shit list and all his stuff that the elves make to exact Habro specification (and sometimes, even, with the same bar code you'd find in a store).

It's so much more simpler than that, this Christmas thing.

The message of Jesus is clear: "Love others as I have loved you." Look to the example of his life, and it's my belief that you will find no more perfect one.

Jesus didn't reward us with things. He rewarded us by our willingness to give up our things. Or at least our attachment to them. Not that we shouldn't have things, but that we shouldn't have to have them. He expressed this through example, both in life and death.

We are all equal. We are all loved. And all this is spoken to us through faith -- that wonderful gift we have that we feel when we quiet our minds and our souls and just listen.

So, we teach our children faith.

Our children, from the moment they are born, look to us to understand the world. When we teach them about God, what are we teaching them? Each parent must answer that as he or she is called to do. I tend to teach faith above all else.

I don't teach that I know what heaven's like. I don't teach that you pray to God that your grandmother doesn't die of cancer. You pray that she and everyone who loves has the strength and peace and comfort that's needed. That God never said you wouldn't suffer, just that you wouldn't do it alone. That you might find some meaning along the way that transforms you into someone new.

I don't teach that you get good things because you believe in Jesus. You find peace and transcendence beyond a world you perceive, a world that you try to make God fit into. What you want falls into place when you get what you need.

This is what I believe, and my beliefs don't require that anyone else do the same.

But, beliefs aside, it's apparently pretty hard if you want to avoid making a big deal out of Santa Claus.

The other day, I'm letting my 3 year old play with the Thomas the Tank Engine trains in Barnes & Noble. It's time to go home. I've never heard a child scream with such terror and anguish as I pulled him away from those trains. Those things are like cooked crack.

As I walk out the store, a lady who worked there looked at Aden and said in a chirpy voice, "Santa Claus is heeeearing thaaaat." She wasn't a bad person. She wasn't trying to be anything other than somebody trying to help me quiet my child.

But this is the essence of Santa Claus.

A supernatural being is watching us, keeping tabs on how good or bad we are, checking his list not once but twice and probably more, judging us in all his omnipotence and omnipresence, and if we aren't good enough for his liking, we don't get anything for Jesus' birthday.

And leave some food out for him. If not, it's rude. Because he's hungry. Obviously. Just look at him. Give your burnt cookie offering, and chances are you might be in Santa's good graces. Maybe a little extra candy thrown into the stocking.

This is our children's first experience with faith. This Santa Claus character.

They hear about God and Jesus and all. But Santa is their exploration into the unknown. At the end of these Christmas movies, the person is always redeemed when they decide to believe in Santa Claus.

(Even that creepy magician who murdered Frosty the Snowman -- premeditated, first-degree murder when he locked him in that greenhouse-- and was told by Santa Claus that if he didn't leave that hat alone, he wouldn't bring him any presents ever again. And all the magician had to do to make it OK was write "I'm sorry for what I did to Frosty" over and over and over. This is Santa justice).

Our children, rightfully, question the existence of Santa Claus. We tell them, "You've got to believe. If you don't believe, he won't come." Or, we ask them some cryptic question that's supposed to serve as an answer: "Do I believe in Santa? Well, do you believe in the spirit of Christmas?"

When I was a little boy, I asked my Mom how Santa came into the apartment if we didn't have a chimney. She told me he had a key. In the housing we lived in, you weren't supposed to be too suprised when people broke into your home and stole your stuff. People you knew, too.

I didn't like the idea of this Santa Claus having a key to my house. What if I wasn't good? I'd heard the threats. If somebody's sadistic enough to leave a lump of coal, what else might they be willing to do?

Santa Claus was already judging me for being good or bad. So what if I didn't get much of anything from him? Was that because I wasn't good? Was the misbehaved boy in school with the big house and all the money good because he got an Atari and I got a pair of shoes? And why should I even be compelled to compare whether an Atari is better than a pair of shoes as a gift, anyway?

What's the point?

And then we say, "It's not about what you get, it's about the spirit of it." Which is true. But Santa Claus doesn't teach this. It's confusing. He teaches us to be good and so we receive.

In fact, I'm not sure what it is he teaches. It's almost like the myth of Santa Claus is the parents' excuse to live out a fantasy of being some kind of god themselves.

At the end of it all, this Santa thing does something far more insidious to our children.

We confuse our children that it's all about Jesus, then almost neurotically have them bow at the altar of some other supernatural, pseudo-messianic character.

And when they finally learn the truth -- whether it be getting up for a drink of water and seeing mom and dad in the act of setting up the presents or our children's slow, cynical milking of the charade to make sure they still get their toys -- it teaches them that maybe they should think twice before believing in something again.

Or, for that matter, believing their parents.

The jewel of innocence is a precious thing.

The type of gift that Santa can't bring ... but sure can take away.





11 comments:

Jay said...

Finding out the truth about Santa Claus is pretty traumatic. And a kid realizing that his parents have been lying to him for several years is pretty tough to deal with too.

Cindy-Lou said...

Yeah well, if that magician went to confession all he'd have to do is repeat some hail mary's and some our father's and he'd be good to go. What's the difference?

Anonymous said...

i can't speak for catholics because i'm not one ... but if you're talking about forgiveness that doesn't come in the santa claus variety, there's a huge difference.

the santa claus "confession" was based completely on the premise that santa wouldn't bring the magician any more presents. in fact, he never actually asked for forgiveness. he tried to grab the hat and santa said, "no more presents." then, realizing no more presents, he went home to write his mea culpa.

and that's the problem with santa is the whole foundation of materialism that it's based on. that's not a big deal except that he's sanctified so much these days, where he's almost this deity in the eyes of children.

saying hail mary's and gripping your rosary beads has its inheritent flaws, but there at least is an element of seeking forgiveness. at least that's what is supposed to be in your heart. if it's not, then that's only the fault of the person. so, in reality, he wouldn't really be good to go, only in a very shallow, manipulative way.

e+

Anonymous said...

I read many of your blogs and I guess I decided to comment on this one b/c of how I feel about Santa. I never had bad feelings from finding out that Santa isn't real. My 5 yr old is the only one that understands the concept of Santa- she sort of got it last year. My point I guess is the joy and excitement in her eyes about Santa is the same joy and excitement she shows when we speak of celebrating Jesus birthday. What 5 yr old doesn't get excited about a birthday and getting to celebrate it all day? I try and teach and raise my kids to have faith but for the few years where Santa is something they can believe in I don't see the harm. I came from a home where Santa was a fixture and my husband came from one where Santa was not. Neither of us are damaged from it and both of us love the excitement of it all. We only have it for a few years...have fun and enjoy- teach kids to give and about the sprit and meaning of Christmas.

Don't get me wrong- I know where you are coming from. Maybe I have gone on and on b/c I felt I had to come to the defense of Santa.

eric said...

then maybe santa should bring presents to kids on their birthdays.

e+

Katie said...

Well said.

I actually heard from an older kid at my primary school when I was about 6 or 7 that Santa didn't exist. That Christmas I pretended to be asleep and listened to my mom tiptoeing into my room and putting my stocking at the end of my bed. It actually was crushing. I've known parents that won't tell their kid about Santa Claus because they feel like they can't lie to their child like that.

In any event, I hope you've had a nice holiday and will have a good time on New Year's!

~Belle

Anonymous said...

I have to say, not having kids, I feel left out at Christmastime. I walk by the parents standing in the Santa line with the excited kids, and I know the truth: It's as much for the parents as it is for the kids. The parents are able - through their kids - to see the world as new and fresh and new and exciting and magical again. The Santa myth facilitates that. It's a temporary transcendence of the mundane and gray here and now. And I wish I had that.

But having confessed my secrey envy, I agree with everything in the post, and admire, as always, the eloquence with which it is expressed. There's a price that is paid for the Santa trick. And in the end, that price may just be too high.

Unknown said...

belle, i found out when i got out of bed to get something to drink and the presents were laid out (it was a good year that year). i can't say it was traumatic at the time. it wasn't. i just felt kind of duped. i don't think that's a good lesson, but hey ...

nvb, that's right on the point, i think. i don't like substituting a false faith in something for the sake of "magic."

consider this: how many kids do you think pray to santa claus at night before christmas? i'd say a lot. even if it's just one kid, that's not good in my opinion.

e+

Spo said...

happy new year mate!

mainiax said...

Just wondering have you heard from Dan lately? its been awhile for me.

hope you a great new year

eric said...

you too, simon. i got your cd and listened just briefly. i wanted to wait until christmas was over so i can enjoy it without all that other noise going on.

mainiax ... i hear from dan from time to time. he stops by here, at least. happy new year to you ...

e+