Monday, December 24, 2007

'Sprinkle This ... Because'

What do you really use paprika for?

Maybe a lot. I don't know. But I do know it's what goes on top of a traditional macaroni & cheese casserole.

Paprika is one of those things I like about the holidays.

I pull out a tiny, old shaker of this stuff and spread it across a macaroni & cheese casserole for each of the family meals I make on three holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day.

I use it three days of the year within a span of a month -- and there it sits for another 11 months. Waiting through the changing seasons for its moment to be used again.

There's a tinge of romanticism in knowing that as I'm now running out of paprika and I reach the bottom of the small container, I'm sprinkling the last remains of what I bought when I was, say, 24.

Tell me that stuff has been there 10 years, and I'll have no evidence to refute it, and in fact I'll be inclined to believe you.

There are things I don't like about Christmas. To sum that up, let's just say that the other night I was watching a peculiar 1964 movie called "Santa Clause Conquers the Martians," and I wish the Martians had won.

But there is so much more I like.

I do like an experience of spirituality, if you can see around Santa.

I do like lights and music and shows we know and more people being home.

Here we are. Near the end of it. And I've got a little bit of this curious spice left, but not enough to make it past the new year.

There is so much I see each year this time of year, and so much that is the same, yet different because it's years and years apart. Something about that is comforting and frightening at the same time.

Buying that new small container next week will be a seminal moment, because it could be until I reach middle age before I have to buy another one.

And, I guess, that's something I like.

6 comments:

Jay said...

You do pronounce it "pap-a-reeka" like Paula Dean does, don't you?

Have a Merry Christmas!

Jay said...

Hehe.
Paprika.
For most of us, cinnamon, maybe cloves, maybe even ginger dominates the holidays.

You are a true original.

Rick Rockhill said...

You can make Shepherd's Pie and sprinkle it over the mashed potatoe covering...makes it look all brownish.other than that I'm clueless!

Rick Rockhill said...

just stopped by again to wish you a happy new year.

eric said...

happy new year to you, too.

btw ... i found out today that my paprika was just caked at the bottom, so i have enough for next year.

Tink said...

I think they go on top of deviled eggs. Other than that, I have NO idea. :)