Friday, September 07, 2007

If You're A Dreamer ...

I will not play at Tug O' War.
I'd rather play at Hug O' War,
Where everyone hugs
Instead of tugs,
Where everyone giggles
And rolls on the rug,
Where everyone kisses,
And everyone grins,
And everyone cuddles,
And everyone wins.

It's not always the exact one my 4-year-old son wants me to read from his favorite book, but I always find a way to add it to the list of poems he challenges me to do justice to.

One day, we all will leave this world as we know it. Leave behind the shells of ourselves.

And what is it that we will have offered the world?

My occupation these days is to describe, day in and day out, how people destroy their lives and destroy the lives of others. And these are my dreams.

Man, it sure is a struggle these days to offer something.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. But this was worthwhile.

Anonymous said...

Whenever I come here, I'm satisfied with your offering.

dan said...

of course, we can all offer our love to family and friends. sadly, they don't always want to take it.

sometimes we don't offer it and when we want to offer it, it's too late.

sometimes we're offered it and don't take it. we can't change our minds in death.

wanting to say something after somebody is gone is the worst thing ever. why didn't we say it when they were here.

offer your offerings in the living years is the best advice i can give to anybody.

basically, i miss my brother because of this and i want to write about it but can't. not yet. and he;s not here for me to say sorry.

Anonymous said...

..."leave behind the shells of ourselves"...
For your son, you have offered your "Shel".