Sunday, July 22, 2007

Picture In A Frame



Every working day, for more than five years now, this picture has been in front of me. There, not-so-noticed, as I talk on the phone and type and complain and get yelled at and get praised and fall asleep with my head in my hands.

At first, I put this picture in a frame and put it on my desk so that I could marvel in the babyhood of my only son.

I was 27. Now, I'm 33.

It's usually covered with a layer of dust save for the few occasions where I take a moment to lick my thumb and clear the frame.

Over time, my only son became my oldest son. He's grown, along with his brother.

The other day, as I took a moment to pick up the frame and take a good, conscious look at it for the first time in years, it struck me that I've only passingly, unconsciously acknowledged this image that has looked back on me eight hours a day, five days a week for the past eight years.

A lot has happened with this picture on my desk.

When a man thinks of his work and reflects upon it, he wonders whether he's been successful. Whether he's made the right decisions.

I've failed some days. I've listened to the pregnant pause fully aware that the next words could be "you're fired."

I've recovered.

I've succeeded some days. I've earned a confidence both within myself and from others that I can do no wrong.

These days are neither.

I've settled in to a certain sustainable level of mediocrity. Just grinding away so that I can come home and throw a baseball with my kid. It's just the formula the calculus of the corporate machine has rendered for me.

(I'm sure one day I'll look back on that with the feeling that I was just making excuses).

I look at the picture; my son has grown older. That's what I usually think when I glance at the picture.

But the other day, for the first time, I realized that I have grown older, too.

More wrinkles. More gray hair. I guess a little less hair, too.

Each day I've grown older. For better or worse. Spending so much time at a place where when the lamp goes dim in my darkened corner it takes me weeks to remember to replace the bulb. It's strange to watch yourself stay young as your life marches onward.

The thought of the picture struck me so much I decided to take it home. Just to make it real somehow. Home, where it's real. Not lost in the empty, half-hearted, pursuit of sustenance.

I'm going to take it back with me. Because I can't keep it here. I can't remove something beautiful to me simply because it has the capacity to remind me that I might not have made the best decisions.

I've been a father for seven years. I've been married for ten. I've worked and lived here in this town for most of them.

I was away from work this past week. During that time, my oldest son asked me if he'd always lived at our house. I told him he had.

It made me think about how they give you this baby from the hospital and you strap it into a car seat and drive 25 mph on the interstate and come to realize years later that there was no return policy even if you had a receipt.

And that how you spend your life is all about the choices you make with each passing second and the faith you have that you've made the right choices.

Now, as I look at the picture, I wonder if I've made the right choices.

Maybe. Maybe not.

In any case, I know that, today, at this moment, whatever I've done with my life thus far has made it so that new pictures interest me just as much as the old ones.

11 comments:

captain corky said...

Touching post man. Holding my son against me and looking into his eyes is just about the greatest experience of my life. It's incredible.

Anonymous said...

One day, when your kid is 33, you will be talking with him about your doubts as to your ability as a parent...have I done a good job?...and your kid will look you right in the eye, and say...Dad! You did a GOOD JOB! Stop worrying!
And at that moment, you will realize that you did a good job, and you can stop worrying.
It's a great moment.
I knew there was going to be a great picture at the end of this post when I started reading it, and I was right. The love you have for your kids, and they for you, shines through brilliantly.
Don't worry Dad.

eric said...

we'll see, i guess. i spend a lot of time wondering if i'm screwing my children up. maybe that counts for something.

and, corky, it gets better, because you grow closer to your child. you begin to know him moreso than the idea of him. and i bet you'll agree that it's one of those things you can't explain to someone until they have a child of their own.

Melissa said...

Beautiful sentiment, beautiful photos.

Katie said...

Thanks so much for posting those pictures! Your boy looks a lot like you. ;)

ps. My parents have that exact same recliner...not that that means anything, but, just thought I'd share. haha.

eric said...

thanks, melissa.

katie, that recliner is from wife's (deceased) grandparents. we still have it, though not it's covered with a blanket.

she wanted to get rid of it, actually. i made the decision to keep it. it's exquisitely old.

Tink said...

Awesome post, E. I've never brought pictures from home here. Because somehow that makes this real. It solidifies this awful place into my life. I'd rather think the world after 5 is real. I'd rather pretend that I don't waste 43 hours a week, missing everything that's truly important to me.

Anonymous said...

I don't have pictures on my desk and that's one of the reasons I can set fire to this life and start up another over in Malawi - I do want pictures some day though and when I do have them I hope I'm smiling as much as you are in yours.

Anonymous said...

Terrific post. "A certain sustainable level of mediocrity." That phrase sure resonated.

Nikky said...

I think all parents (good ones) wonder at least once if they're doing right by their kids. If you didn't care if you were doing right by them, you wouldn't wonder, so you must be doing something right!

Besides, look at the bright eyes and giggling smile... actually, both of them... yours and his. He looks like the happiest kid on the face of the Earth just hanging out with his dad. That's saying something!

eric said...

you guys are great.