Wednesday, May 30, 2007

But Can I Understand It?

You've got to give it to Geico. Those caveman commercials have been quite successful. And the lizard was quaint, too.

But as I listen to the television from the kitchen, I can't help but think that the commercials have run their course.

The concept is that we're supposed to think Geico insurance is so straightforward and user-friendly that even a caveman can sign up for it.

This would mean that a caveman is supposed to be dumb.

But when I see a caveman dressing down a therapist and debating political correctness on a television talk show, I can't help but think that Geico has convinced me that a caveman is smart.

In fact, the caveman is so smart that he's compelled ABC to sanction a pilot of a caveman sitcom.

So basically, Geico, you're saying that it's so easy that someone smart can understand it.

I guess that's one way to sell insurance.

10 comments:

dan said...

cavemen were incredibly smart, which is why the human race is still here.

they invented the first cutting tools, they were the first tailors, i could go on.

eric, you often say that you american guys don't have much history comapred to other countries. what about the clovis point?

Read this

actually that piece is now regarded inaccurate, as recent evidence suggests that the first inhabitants of north america were from france. the atlantic partially froze over and they made their way across.

not the nine o'clock news made a similar statement about the intelligence of our cousings, the gorillas, back in the 80's.

this one really is worth watching:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_MpbMm0433I

captain corky said...

I give this sitcom 6 weeks at best. But then again I gave reality TV 6 weeks too...

Leslie Hawes said...

I'm ready for the Geico commercials to disappear.
Bring back the Citibank commercials for identity theft, with the "leather bustier that lifts and seperates"!
Dan, thanks for the gorilla interlude. Funny.
American history tends to the politicl, rather than the natural.
We disregard our natural history with impudence. Shame.
Better mouth prosthetics for the Geico caveman would be an improvement...

Jay said...

I haven't really analyzed these commercials all that much, but I do love the one where he's walking through the airport and sees the big poster with him on it. I especially love the old wooden framed tennis racket.

/I'm easily amused.

Anonymous said...

Oh, those are selling insurance? I thought they were for some sort of caveman advocacy thing.

Unknown said...

the gorilla was good satire. and it's true that american history is more about politics than natural history.

and an interesting question is ... do you know what these cavemen are selling offhand? it took me a moment to think about what the commercial was for. i think that's an advertising no-no.

Rusty said...

Me like cavemen. Ungh.

Going through Geico for my sport bike insurance... I think they do okay?

Cindy-Lou said...

Hey, look how much exposure they get. The gecko was cute and all, but funny goes a long way.

eric said...

rusty you sound like "i'm ron bur .. g ..u..n.. dy?

but did geico get the exposure or the caveman?

Beth said...

I hate those damn commercials.