Sunday, October 15, 2006

That's Waaaaay Too Much Protection For Me, Thank You



I have to admit, I've gotten pretty confident that it's nearly impossible for me to be a sucker for obvious manipulation.

I pat myself on the back for what I see as an ability to see through the Matrix of advertising, to call bullshit on people underhandedly trying to secure my allegiances.

I even analyze the use of exclamation points. The more there are, the more suspicious you should be.

Risk Free!

Buy Two Get A Third For A Penny!!!

Going Out Of Bizness!!!!!!!!

But when it comes down to it, I'm an American. And that means I have been programmed by advertising since birth. Any aspiration to completely conquer the subconscious forces that lie beneath is wishful thinking.

So ...

I have a molar tooth that had its bonding come apart and caused quite a bit of pain. A month ago I had it reinforced. The dentist told me the pain that I had had whenever I chewed would go away after time. A month later, though, it still hurt.

I went to the dentist again the other day. The talkative hygenist lady tortured my gums into an inflamed but exceptionally clean flaming red mush. The dentist came in, looked at the X-ray of my nerves touching the new bond in the tooth and told me that it would take another month or two for it to all "settle down" and feel better.

He told me a good way to help the process along would be to brush with some Sensodyne toothpaste. Just for a few weeks. No more than a month.

I had only heard about this stuff on commercials, when I was a kid. Maybe when Bob Barker had some old lady on "The Price Is Right" trying to win a new dinette set: "Which costs more, Esther? The tube of Sensodyne or this fine pair of Jordache jeans?"

I decided to follow his advice. The dentist's, that is.

So, I went into the grocery store and looked for my sweet elixir of raging-tooth relief.

My eyes immediately keyed in on the "Fresh Mint" flavor "Maximum Strength" Sensodyne.

I thought, "'Maximum Strength?' Should I go with that? Or is that too much? He told me not to brush with it for more than a month or so. I wouldn't want to overdo it."

I moved on to the rest of the selection -- the "Tartar Control" and "Whitening" specials.

But then I noticed something.

They were all labeled "Maximum Strength."

I felt it wash over me. A kind of, let's say, QVC moment of suckerness. The kind I felt as a young adult emerging from a childhood of mass indoctrination and realizing that Isotoner gloves weren't really any more special just because my hero Dan Marino shilled them on TV.

There is no "Minimum Strength" or "Moderate Strength."

It's like "Green" on the terror alert scale: It exists, but only in a hypothetical world that will never materialize because the point is to give you a false frame of reference to start from. You'll never see cable TV news slap up a graphic that reads "Terror Alert: Low."

I don't know. I guess the toothpaste gives me comfort knowing that there is still room in my life for a pure and genuine gullibleness that I thought had left me long ago.

And there's comfort in knowing that my toothpaste isn't for wussies.

13 comments:

dan said...

it's like "new and improved washing up liquid" or "new gilette mach 16 razor blade, now with 16 blades for a closer shave and smoother skin"

they're almost saying, "well, our product was really shitty before and we lied to you but this one REALLY is good...honest to god it is"

Unknown said...

This totally made me laugh. Thank you.

Spo said...

I think it helps the expansion of the English laanguage - creating new words when that which describes the ultimate maximum superior extra power version becomes standard across the board and they have to think of an all new way of saying that something is better than all that crap everyone else is selling you.

It kind of happened with numbers I think - once they had thought up the words million and then billion it got a little comic book - like they had stopped trying almost - Trillion? Zillion? Gazillion?.... please....they're just making that shit up

lets head them off at the pass - lets try and come up with it before the scientist people....

geniatastic?

galacticolian?

expertarovalistic?

Or go with some sort of little used term and breathe life into a phrase that deserves a little more press - Bombastic perhaps.

Tink said...

"And that means I have been programmed by advertising since birth."

Evidently I missed the boat on that gene. They had to program it in manually. When I was 7 I argued with my Mom for hours about how products should be honest about what they sell. My suggested advertisement? "We may not be that good, but we'll do!" No shit.

Rusty said...

I appreciate clever advertising. If it makes me laugh, I'll shell out the extra $0.20 for it.

Unless I'm really broke.

eric said...

dan ... yeah, like when they say you get 33 percent more free. they were cheating you all along.

cindy ... why are you laughing? is something funny? :)

spo ... i'm all for making up new words. or we could just say "infinity plus one."

tink ... so what are you saying? you hate america? are you with the terrorists? :)

rusty ... i agree!

e+

Anonymous said...

Next year, the "maximum strength" will be replaced by something ever so much more ... maximum. To see the future of your toothpaste, look to the masters of maximization - the video game industry. Consider the series of "Street Fighter" video games.

(Gamers will immediately realize that this is merely a *partial* list. I didn't want to make this comment longer than Eric's post...)

* Street Fighter
* Street Fighter II
* Super Street Fighter II
* Super Street Fighter II Turbo
* Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
* Super Street Fighter II: Turbo Revival
* Street Fighter EX
* Street Fighter EX Plus
* Street Fighter EX 2 Plus

I will keep an eye out for "Super Sensodyne II Turbo: Hyper Brushing" on my next trip to Target.

Jay said...

The Pharmacutical industry loves the words "maximum strength". Cause if you have a headache they know you are going to pay extra for the really, really powerful stuff. Especially over the counter stuff.

And usually "new and improved" stamped onto the label of some food product meams "ruined". They alway change the recipe just a little bit on my favorite stuff and then it's not good anymore.

eric said...

very good, rick. very good. or you know they could do what bob inglis is doing and go for "sensodyne 2.0." (for those out of state, that's a reference to one of our s.c. congressional candidates for re-election who is referring to himself as "inglis 2.0").

jay ... you're right. the one that comes the closest to working with food is when you get "33 percent more free." you want more of what you eat, not a different recipe.

e+

Katie said...

haha...

It seems like toothpaste is always decribed as "advanced" these days also. "Advanced whitening with advanced breath freshning power." Geez.

~Belle

eric said...

you know you're right, belle. "advanced" is the new "expertarovalistic," as simon would say.

e+

Andrew Fletcher said...

At least the package advertising folks haven't jumped on the "amazing" band wagon yet. It's only a matter of time before we see "the most amazing maximum strength advanced protection available"

eric said...

yes, "amazing" is interesting. it's not really talking about what the product gives you.

it's talking about a reaction you'll feel to it. that's actually kind of presumptuous and intrusive if you think about it.

amazing.

e+