Friday, October 27, 2006

Ignorance Is Bliss

They say one thing they can never take away from you is your education.

Go to college, boy. Get that education. Nobody can take that from you.

Sounds like good advice.

I think sometimes about to what extent my life is owned by others. For the most part, I view that through the prism of whatever debt I might be in.

Not too bad, really.

I've got a mortgage and a car payment -- but at the end of it all, I could just give all that stuff back. You know, that whole "come follow me and I will make you a fisher of men" thing.

But there's one debt that I can't escape: my wife's student loan for the master's degree she earned seven years ago (thanks to an intense work ethic I could only hope to emulate the smallest sliver of).

My undergrad student loan was paid off a few years back. I'm done with that. Pell Grants helped make that possible. Finally, all that no-legitimate-head-of-the-household shit as a kid finally paid off for me.

But not my wife's student loan. No, sir. That's all us.

I realize -- as I wonder the many ways in which people could possibly lay claim to me and how I can win my freedom -- that an education is something they can never take from you.

But, damnit, you can't give it back, either.


6 comments:

dan said...

my students loans have just been written off by the bankruptcy hearing. it's the easy way out but also means i'm fucked and will never be able to afford my masters now.

yeah, you could both go bankrupt. join the club, it's very liberating.

Jay said...

My student loans were exempted from any bankruptcy. Maybe I should have had a better lawyer. But, I couldn't afford a better lawyer cause I was freaking broke!

I'll have my student loans paid off in about 5 years. Of course, my college degree has been completely useless too.

Good thing I'm not bitter about any of this, though!

eric said...

even better ... how about one of my kids. is the first or second-born more valuable? i can't remember.

bankruptcy ... i'm not quite there, but these kids could one day get me there. which brings me back to the idea of selling them. hmmm ...

e+

Andrew Fletcher said...

Your wife's loan sounds a lot like my "career training" loan. Only 4 more years to go. In debt for 10 years only to switch careers after 5. Not a good play on my part. At least I still have the knowledge right? Or do I?

Rusty said...

Haha, funny because it is true.

Jesus, if I go to law school I'll be somewhere in the ballpark of 70k in debt, and that's if I'm lucky.

eric said...

maybe knowledge from the school of hard knocks? depends. my wife can honestly say she didn't learn much. but in the public school system, it automatically boosts her pay.

rusty, if you complete law school, it'll be worth it. just don't try to get 70k in debt and be a teacher.

e+