Saturday, July 22, 2006

You're Welcome




I don't think there can be anything more rewarding in the world than to have a child admire and love you.

Especially your own, I guess, but it's nice when other people's children do, too.

Until I had my own children, I never was good with kids. Actually, I still don't think I'm that great with other people's kids. But I fake it.

Judging by the reaction to my visit to Mrs. Kilgore's 3rd grade class to read Dr. Seuss books to underprivileged kids, I must have faked it pretty well.

(We won't talk, however, about the kid I made cry while talking to a different class at a different elementary school. Turns out, he doesn't like anyone insinuating that he likes girls).

It's been months since I read to these children on what I was told was Dr. Seuss' birthday. What they remember most is my stated mission to read the tongue-twisting "Fox in Socks" as fast as I could to them.

The cover of the books warns people against trying to read it fast on the first try.

But I live dangerously. And I'm not afraid of humiliation.

I also read a couple of other books to them, which were of the "ewww, groooosssss" variety. And I tried to wear a silly hat.

Recently, I got an envelope full of thank you letters (to go with my bomb-ass Dr. Seuss appreciation certificate thumbtacked over my desk).

Depending on your sense of humor, there is no higher form of comedy than the blunt observations and raw, honest emotions of a small child.

So ...

Thank you for coming to read to us on Read Across America Day. You were funny when you read fast on the Dr. Seuss book. You are one of my best friends. I like the story that you read to us too. I am glad to know you. I hope had a good time with us. I like the book that ou read to us too. I love reading alot that is one of the things that I like to do. I'm serious you are my best friend. We have a new student her name is Travonna. She is nice and sweet. I wished she was there when you was there reading Fox and Socks. I wish you could meet her one day. You are very very very nice to us. I like the way you acted a lot. My best part was when you was funny. I would like to hear you read that again. I hope you visit us again. Sincerely, Damiela

Her hands must have been sore after writing such a long letter in pencil.

---

Thank you for Reading Fox In Sox to my new class. I was not there. My brother and I are new! Finally, I am sure I missed a wonderful story. Your friend, Travonna

Wow, I made a friend just by simple, 3rd-grade word-of-mouth. I agree with Damiela: This new kid is "nice and sweet."

---

Thak you for comeing and reading to us. I like the story you had read to us. That book was funny. you was to yo are fun in your on way We have a new stueand. She is a girl. She was not here win you came here. I think you wely like to see her. if you come back agin it will be nice to see you agin. Diamond

This new girl really has made an impact. Glad she's on my side.

---

Thank you for reading to our class. Can you come back? I Love the book Icky Body Parts. It was funny. Can you come back on my birthday please? I love the book Fox in Sox. That book was funny when you read it fast. I would Like to hear you read the book again. sincerely, Desmond

Are you kidding me? Of course I'll come back, little man. Just let me know when and where the party is throwing down.

---

Thank you for coming to read to us on Read Across America Day. You were really, really funny when you read Fox in Sox, and if we were bad we didn't mean it. When you read it fast I started to laugh at you because you were funny. Sincerely, Mary

They were a little wired, but, hey, whatever. They love me.

And is it just me, or does it seem like the fact that past two World Series champions have been the Red Sox and White Sox, respectively, might be affecting how these kids decide to spell "Socks/Sox?"

---

Thank you for reading to my class. My class and I really liked it. I hope you come back again. Oh I almost forgot please bring cupcakes or cookies and bring a freind or two. I hope you have a good time. love Jordan

What's up? Anybody down for some cupcakes and cookies? I need two of you.

---

I love the book that you read to us on Read Across America Day. I liked the one of More Parts I have tuns of those books just to complete my coletion of Tedd Arnold books is The Fly Guy. Do you have that book? Can I tell you something, you were funny when you read the Dr. Seuss book. I really liked it. I wish you can come again? Love, Leslie

I love that last sentence. It kind of reminds of "Anchorman" when someone puts a question mark on the teleprompter and Ron Burgundy closes out the telecast with "I'm Ron Burgundy?"

---

Thank you for reading to us. you liked funny when you were reading. I like to be a writer when I grow up. I love to write alot I love to draw too. Do you like to draw? I can draw and write very good. Do you think I cold be a writer some day? What do you think I shuld be a drawer or a writer? from: Justine

Hell, Justine, how about both, you know? Sounds like you've got confidence. Maybe you could write and draw children's books. And I'll be the old, decrepit man you feel sorry for who wants to come and read your book to some kids.

---

And, lastly, perhaps my favorite.

I appreciate you shareing to us about what you like to do ... and I also appreciate you reading to us about Icky Body Parts. it was funny I really enjoyed you reading and shareing the things you think that you like to share best in Icky body parts. I liked the first part. Can you come back soon and read The Keeping Quilt? Some people didn't like the story but you are my best friend forever. Come back soon because I miss you reading so fast and teaching us to like good stories like the ones you read. Sincerely, Emerald

I really do need a best friend forever. We all do.

And I love the way that you like to do what you like to think is nice to suggest a new book.

Man, that is such an f'in sage way to say something.

I'm going to use that one in my next job interview.

You rage, Emerald.

And so do the rest of you, boys and girls.



8 comments:

Jon said...

What happens to all of us between 8 ans 18, that results in the adults we see all around us.

Those kids sound great

Beth said...

That was fantastic! Will you come read a story to me too? Only not so much Dr. Seuss. I'm thinking Laurell K. Hamilton or something.

...Well?

Cindy-Lou said...

I'll bring the cupcakes if you think it'll get me some thank you notes like these. I've been feeling underappreciated and I think this would help. But seriously, is there really a Diamond and an Emerald in the class?

Tink said...

Ooo Ooo *Raises hand* ILL go! I'll even bake my famous cake cookies dude.

How friggin cute are they?! That's a confidence booster if I ever saw one.

Jay said...

Now that's appreciation!

Andrew Fletcher said...

Man, I think if I got letters like that I'd be walking around all day singing "who is the man, who is the man, who is the maaaan!"

Anonymous said...

I liked what you wrote about those peeple. You are my new best friend. It was really funny, especially the part about the new student. Can you write another one? I am serious. I am your new best friend. I like to write too but I waste it on dumb politics. Do you think I could write like you? You are my new best friend. WRITE BACK.

eric said...

john ... i would have to say "isms."

queen ... i don't know. i scare too easily. i still think freddy's going to suck through the bathtub drain.

cindy ... you're right. diamond and emerald. kind of cool.

tink ... wow, go the extra mile. not just cookies, but famous cookies. i think your letters will be even cuter if you pull that off.

fa ... i'll tell you more of what i think ... i actually feel bad that these poor kids don't realize how much of a poseur i am.

nvb ... politics is fun. messy but fun. i wish i could talk about such things.

e+