Monday, December 19, 2005

A Dark Prison



I am deathly afraid of the dark.

Or maybe it's darkness, if there is such a difference.

The idea of the dark and the wretched place it traps me in.

It brings out an involuntary, arresting fear in me. When it descends each night, I can't imagine not being terrified. Then, when the sun rises, I can't imagine how I could be so frightened in the very home that shines with the morning light.

It's part of the reason why I decided to sleep in my cold, powerless home, when just a few miles away -- at my in-laws' house -- I had the comfort of power and heat and microwaveable meals and Sportscenter and conversation and security available to me.

The ice storm knocked out power to 700,000 homes in this upper region of South Carolina. Ours was one of them. My family fled to a more-accustomed environment.

I stayed behind. I told myself it was because I didn't want to leave my house vulnerable. That I just liked being there. That I liked the idea of "camping." That I wanted to know what it must be like when less fortunate people must endure the consequences of not having the money to pay their electric bills.

It was none of those.

I wanted to face fear. To face the terror of being alone, with nothing but a few candles and a fireplace to remind me that I am not completely consumed by darkness, both within and without.

It's amazing how quickly you can enter an entirely unfamiliar world. You notice the moon is full. You are kin to the old ages. You hear the ringing of silence in your ears if you pay attention to the absence of sound.

You are a prisoner of your thoughts -- and those thoughts are of the kind that makes it so you must always leave the television on, even when you go to bed, because it signifies that there is some measure of life filling the house.

I suppose I have little faith when light isn't there to guide me. Against all that is natural, I find myself convinced that the sun might not rise.

Time slows down in the dark. The silence is deafening.

It thrusts me into a bizarre world. Not within my house, but within myself. It's a dark place. Darker than the home itself.

The sudden buzz is terrifying. My cell phone is set to vibrate before it rings. On the way home, I had called my friend who lives nearby to tell him that if he and his fiance were cold, I had a fireplace and they could come over and stay somewhat warm.

The phone was vibrating on the kitchen counter, like some kind of bomb or exotic beast prepared to eat me. I felt my lungs abruptly sucking in the cold air.

I didn't want to answer it. Strange. A way out of the world I had plunged myself into, yet I wanted no part of the world I'm used to.

I spoke with him. He had just seen "King Kong."

Movies. Yes, they make those. There is a world out there. And people watch movies. But it is abstract. This is reality. I am reality. And it's just me.

It's time to hang up. Time to return to the darkness. It's why I didn't want to answer the phone.

Sleep mercifully comes. Morning brings cold sunshine. The ice is melting.



I'm not sure what I learned from that night. It might sound to the outside observer to be a strange, trivial matter.

But it changed me in ways that I can't yet explain.

I learned that I am afraid to live inside my own mind.

And that's even more frightening than the darkness.

11 comments:

Spo said...

for the moment... "whoa crikey" - I'll be back with more though

Spo said...

I geuss with so much going on all around us, the last time we were completely alone - nothing but thoughts - away from all manner of man made - those times are few and far between for the average bear - always something around to distract us from our own head....people will watch a movie, read a book, listen to music - what ever - but just sitting with your thoughts in the dark for that amount of time? man that'd freak out most..

cracking post

Anonymous said...

I can never keep my thoughts internal. They would pick me apart. I pray sometimes just to get stuff off my chest I don't want to talk to anyone else about. Or blog. That helps to siphon.

I wonder if this is new to just the recent world where there is so much information flying so fast? How often do we really get to slow down the pace our minds are processing everything to examine what we really think or feel? I try to make a habit of starting slow in the morning. I make coffee and read and meditate. I don't turn on the TV or computer or phone. It balances me for the day. The days I am too busy to go through this routine I tend to be flying a million miles an hour, stressed beyond belief and in a frenzy until my head hits the pillow for the night and I welcome the sweet relief of darkness.

Cindy-Lou said...

I'm impressed you faced your fear but I prefer denial.

eric said...

simon, i also stayed up until 4:20. i'm not sure that helped. imagine you had some moments hunting all that tea down, right?

screetus, you shallow jackelope. that's why i like you! ;) seriously, though, ice storms are an interesting phenomenon here.

we aren't prepared for those here in the south. we don't imagine trees snapping because of some wet weather. today, six days after power went out, 70,000 people were still without power. tonight, the low temp is supposed to reach about 24 degrees (Fahrenheit for you kooky brits).

amber, i believe you're right about technology and modernity. if it weren't for that, perhaps i would actually pray more than i do and should.

cindy, i live in constant denial of that fear. i just hope i'd be willing to do it again. i'll only do it if forced, though. i'm not sure what that means.


thanks for sticking around, guys. even though i don't post regularly. i appreciate it.

e+

Chris said...

e,

Fascinating post. I think that's part of the reason meditation is so hard, almost impossible, in our society. We're so wrapped up in the securities (lights, cell phones, sportscenter) that we don't know what to do when we're suddenly deprived. We're fearful.

To be honest, I think everyone's afraid of the dark to some degree. I think it's the elements of uncertainty and helplessness that plunge us into fear. Then again (waxing philosophic), it might be that uncertainty is the root of all fears...

dan said...

it's at times when we face long periods alone that the mind starts to work in ways we're not used to.

i can relate to that whole post amd what everybody has said.

i once spent five days alone without anybody to talk to. in the end i thought i was losing my marbles, questioning my own existence and everything.

the darkness the night provides just exascerbates all those insecurites.

i'm not afraid of the dark, just whatis IN the dark...but then i'm a kook ;-)

great post, eric

Katherine Zander said...

Facing Fear - something I strive to do, but, well, by default it's Scary. What a grand experiment you set out on. It's always worth learning something about yourself, even (and especially)if you learn something you're not all that keen to know.

I've spent many a dark night alone, under vast star-filled desert skies. And I felt the unease I felt in your post. I'm not sure if it was some sci-fi-induced terror I was going to be abducted, but rather seeing the enormity of All, and how small I really am. Whether it's a star-filled sky reaching to the beginning and end of time, or just Dark - both are rather real or imagined infinite. And no matter how big one's Ego may be, it's not big enough to make much of an impression in something that size.

As much as I complained about the muttering wood rats waking me up at night, at least they were something smaller, which made me feel just a little more secure.

But, to comment on what's really important: Crap! Does the ice storm mean no peaches?

Hope your community is back to warmth and noise soon!

eric said...

very true, chris. and uncertainty is exactly what i think fear is all about. and fear isn't so bad ... it can either lead you to certainty ... or faith ... through self-discovery.

dan, i think that's why they punish prisoners with solitary confinement. when you talk about "in," i wonder if people's fear of the bogeyman when they're young is just a manifestation that they must be afraid of something but aren't yet aware why?

kz, that's well thought out. i appreciate you taking the time to share that. you know, one thing about this house thing is that it's almost like i'm entering a dark place (figuratively) in a place that i'm usually familiar with (physically).

camping might not be so bad. it's realizing where you are every night and how different you are when you truly must be alone with yourself.

also, being outside and seeing how small you are might, for me, actually lead to a better understanding. my situation was different. it was more that all i have is myself and i'm not comfortable with it.

oh, and don't worry ... the peaches are grown in georgia.

e+

dan said...

true what you say about IN the dark.

btw, i really like the photos you used on this post. did you do them yourself?

eric said...

yes, i took them.

the first one is one i took looking upward through one of the frozen trees in my yard just before my power went out.

the second is actually a picture i took about this time two years ago. it's cropped. to the right is supposed to be the face of my youngest son coming toward the camera. the fire's in the background.

i cut him out and dropped deep shadow to draw out the flame. it's not the actual fire that i had that night, but it looked just the same. :)

e+