Friday, June 15, 2007

Thou Shalt Put No Other Rock Gods Before Me

In the span of 48 hours, I've met Tom Morello, shaken hands with Dan Marino and had a conversation on the phone with Harry Connick Jr.

And that doesn't make me a somebody. It just reiterates to me that I'm a nobody.

Tom Morello and Dan Marino are heroes of mine. The epitome of excellence in their respective fields.

Tom Morello plays the guitar with a wrench and, two nights ago, with his teeth. He's a guitar god with a brain and a conscience. These days, he's known as acoustic-solo-political-folk figure The Nightwatchman and the sonic sensei of the soon-to-be-reunited Rage Against The Machine.

Dan Marino was bigger than life to me when I was a child. My Mom was married to a guy from Ft. Lauderdale at the time who looked like Marino and indoctrinated me into the DolFans cult. It was a happy eye of the storm in my childhood. For me, Marino is the greatest quarterback of all time. I can say that because it's impossible to prove for sure, anyway. And my Dolphins hat has salt rings.

There's something about meeting your heroes. You don't know what to say, and, if you're me at least, you feel a little stupid. Like they might feel like they're supposed to do something more than smile, say 'hello,' sign an autograph or take a cell phone picture with you.

But I'll say this, and it's the thing that fans of people want to hear about the people they're fans of: Both those guys are, as the idolators like to say, "Cool Guys."

And isn't that what really matters? At least in terms of idolization? That they at least make you feel like they appreciate that you like them?

I can't say the same for Harry Connick Jr.

Not that he's not nice. He's cool enough, I guess. I just don't know anything about him, and therefore I don't care much about him, except that he's famous and I've always thought he seemed pretty smooth.

(Well, I did download some of his Christmas music and liked it ... and he's on Jay Leno a lot ... and he was Will Smith's pilot buddy who got offed by the aliens in "Independence Day" ... and he thinks SunCom gets it).

I wish I could say that me and Harry Connick Jr. were buddies.

But we aren't.

Maybe something about me not knowing anything about jazz. And maybe something about me telling him I'm sorry he was on hold because I was on the shitter.

I did Google him, though, with very little notice that I was supposed to talk with him this morning. And I watched one of his new music videos on YouTube. And I tried to give the impression that I was knowledgeable about his career.

No, we're not buddies.

Come to think of it, me and Tom Morello and Dan Marino aren't buddies, either.

But they're Cool Guys.

Guys who are only something if they're something to you.

9 comments:

dan said...

you know me and dan marino? we went to different schools together.

there's something about meeting one's idols and hoping that they are cool. they mostly are but there's always that one illusion shattering arsehole who won't sign autographs when you just waited for four hours in subzero temperatures - nuno bettencourt, Nov 1991

okay, so my taste in music was bad back then and i deserved it.

captain corky said...

I've never met any of my idols. Most of them don't exist, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

eric said...

corky, i know exactly what you mean. it's a whole lot easier that way. superman will never let you down.

dan, that sucks. but you did deserve it.

Jay said...

I'm glad that Tom Morello and Dan Marino were cool. I would have been crushed if you had said they were jerks.

I worry about meeting my idols from when I was a kid because I'd hate for them to be jerks and ruin everything for me.

I would think Harry Connick Jr would be cool too. I had a chance to see him in Vegas one time, but decided not to go.

Rusty said...

My thoughts on you meeting Tom Morello?

Epic.

My thoughts on you shaking hands with Dan Marino?

You poor, pathetic Dolphins fan.

Everybody needs a team. Having a team is great. Unfortunately, there are not enough punishments in Football Hell to redeem you contemptible Dolphins fans.

I'll be in Rochester, NY in October, and I'll be sure to pray for the salvation of your fandom at the sacrosanct grounds of Ralph Wilson Stadium.

I can't help myself. Everytime I read a post of yours with ANY mention of the Dolphins, I tune out everything else you've written. Not to say it isn't good or interesting, but my vision just goes red, white and blue and I have to say:

Let's go Buffalo.

PEACE said...

No, sorry, you are all wrong about Dan he was an "okay" quarterback. Joe Montana now there's a quarterback The first words I taught my son was "Go Joe!" Then John Elway and Roger Staubach. Those three I think, are the all time best quarterbacks.

All of them were team players, take any hit, come up with the big play, semi-gods. Of course some credit must go to George Blanda, probably the all time great OLD quarterback and "Broadway" Joe Namith who was probably the first quarterback to be photographed in panty hose. Come to think of it, the reason he was so great at that position was his offensive line that gave him at least what? 10 seconds to throw a pass!!

Now, if you want to talk cool celebs you must include Doc Severinsen, the coolest cat on the planet.

Melissa said...

Quite a 48 hours!

I just realized I have no heroes, no one I'd be excited to meet. But that's mainly due to the fact that I'd be too shy to say anything other than, "So. You're so-and-so." And let's face it - that ain't great conversation.

eric said...

jay ... they were. it makes me think about this guy who was into phish. he was a college journalism student and he finally got to meet his guy only to find out he's an asshole. he was crushed.

as for you, rusty ... it's ironic a bills fan would talk about football hell. you guys live in it every day. but you've still got the four super bowls (losses) and oj simpson.

peace ... dan marino just ok? i'd love to see how many of those other qb's would have done with a defense and a running game. you saw what happened to elway in those early years. dan would wrap the team up in a big old blanket, toss it over his shoulder like santa claus and carry the team with one arm. and that quick release ... as ridiculous as oj getting away with murder.

montana, staubach ... hard to argue. namath ... decent but known more for the guarantee.

melissa ... you're probably better off that way. and it's probably a good sign.

PEACE said...

Yea, just given you a hard time. Marino is right up there with Montana. But you have to like Elway. He'd get creamed and always jumped up smilin'!