Sunday, April 15, 2007

I Really Need To Find A Whammy To Bludgeon




The focus groups have adjourned.The suits in the corporate boardroom have made their final executive decisions. The audience has been targeted.

Now to move in on the prey.

This is a science. Or an art. Whichever. Either way, it helps make people a lot of money off other people.

The truest gauge of success that I see is this: Can advertising convince a person that they're something they are not simply because they're watching the commercial?

Here I am, on a Saturday afternoon, willingly existing in a haze of apathy as I watch the Game Show Network.

First is the old '80s game show they called "Press Your Luck" -- the one that everybody instead called "Whammy," because the obnoxious little cartoon characters wiping out the pot of some feathered-haired contestant yelling "Big money! No Whammies!" was about all the show had going for it.

(When it was remade a few years ago, they just got right down to business and called it "Whammy").

Quite fascinating. Reliving those childhood halcyon days of instant-fortune voyeurism and (like "Deal Or No Deal") rooting against the contestants just so you can judge them for being too greedy.

So, speaking of judging people based on a handful of minutes of television exposure, it's on to the "Love Connection" with host Chuck Woolery.

This, of course, is the more-polite version of "Elimidate."

I pontificate on how societal mores have changed such that game shows about love and making connections have become so much more cold-blooded.

I marvel at my advanced level of awareness now, stroking my ego that I'm smarter now than my mother was when she engrossed herself in this show and actually believed that these people had found true love.

I do this until I'm ambushed by advertising.

I watch as a commercial promoting an amazing new weight loss system (where the women, in my opinion, look better in the before picture than the after one) is immediately followed by a commercial imploring the viewer to indulge sinful desire by partaking in a tub of Breyer's ice cream.

You know, if I want ice cream, it's OK. There's a perfect weight loss system I can turn to once I emerge from my indulgence in the fantasy of instant success, whether that be striking "rich" with a $13,000 pot or finding a soul mate after a night at a moderately priced steakhouse paid for by the producers of "Love Connection."

Is this what people who watch the Game Show Network are most apt to respond to? And if so, what does that say about me and my acquiescence to this state of mind?

I can only say that my Saturday was salvaged by an obligation to take my son to Dixie Youth baseball practice, followed by an obligation to join my church league basketball team in our race to the championship.

And tonight, I find myself feeling better.

My son found an interesting show this afternoon. I thought he had fallen asleep before I looked over and saw him enthralled in a Discovery Channel show called "Man vs. Wild."

This is where a former British military survivalist guy named Bear Grylls thrusts himself into situations where he must find a way to survive and ultimately rejoin civilization.

As I watch Bear suck the fluid out of a fish as he floats in a self-made bamboo raft in the South Pacific desperate for even the slightest bit of fresh water ... and bite the head off a water snake and eat the rest of the body whole on spot in Sierra Nevada ... and bludgeon a bunny rabbit with an improvised weapon made of wood ... and crush the roots of an exotic plant that will poison fish to float to the surface ... all to prove that he could survive any boneheaded situation we might find ourselves thrust into ...

I realize I am in a different place tonight.

For the commercials don't implore me to partake in sinful indulgences that will lead me to amazing weight loss systems. They advertise manly things -- like big trucks and virility drugs and "MANday" Monday with a multitude of images of men doing manly things like punching bears in the face.

I feel better now.

But maybe, even, a little worse.

After all, it's not like I'm bludgeoning bunny rabbits with improvised weaponry or crafting manmade bamboo rafts.

I'm just watching, waiting for somebody to tell me who I am because of what I'm watching.

9 comments:

captain corky said...

Well said Eric! I just ordered my scooter from the scooter store. Now I can get around my apartment, and if my insurance doesn't cover the price of the Scooter then it's free. I learned this while I was dozing off in my recliner watching TV Land.

Katherine Zander said...

The other day at the grocery store, middle child A requested we purchase a Kid Cuisine because "the duck on the commercial said it was good!" (yes, exclamation point, she was very excited).

We all had a good laugh at how honest she was with the coersion, but bought the crap anyways.

I was secretly thrilled when she took one bite and couldn't finish it because it was so bad.

As for tv violence, the most I can stomach is Survivorman. A more, ummm, polite version of Bear. I think it's on A&E, a more, ummmm, polite channel than Discovery.

Jay said...

That "Man vs Wild" show is awesome. And Bear is a bad-ass. There is another guy who they use sometimes too. But, he's an arrogant prick.

If somebody were to blindfold me and drop me off in the wilds of the Ozark National Forest, I'm pretty sure I could make my way home now.

The only commercials and ads I remember are funny ones.

I have noticed some ads that are definitely aimed at women during "The Shield" on FX though. Not the kind of show you would think has a big female audience. But, maybe it does.

eric said...

good one, corky.

tell me about it, kz. it was quite an awakening when i first heard asa reciting commericial slogans from nickelodeon. just imagine this little NASCAR phase he's going through. asking me if i want to use Penske motor oil for my truck or pointing out the Nextel cell phone store.

jay ... i totally paid attention to the one where he was on the pacific island. and when he sucked the moisture and vitamin (pronounced "vit" not "vite") C? awesome.

Cindy-Lou said...

What if I don't like what they tell me I am? Can I just watch another commercial?

Unknown said...

i guess you could. which raises a question.

what show would you have to watch to find an ad that defines you.

i'm thinking mine is either espn, comedy central or cartoon network.

Tink said...

For this reason I avoid the Food Network, E, Lifetime, and the SOAP channel. I would rather not encourage my incorrigible mind to be either fat, shallow, girlie, or stupid. I'll stick to SpongeBob and Futurama thankyouverymuch.

Katie said...

Indeed!

I actually took a class last semester where the professor postulated that the advertising industry has created an entire generation of unsatisfied people.

I totally agree. If I'm not careful, commercials tend to make me feel like I'm good enough, etc. The important thing is to ignore them I guess.

And Man vs. Wild is actually one of my favorites.

-Belle

p.s.-it's prolly old news to you by now, but we lost K. Durant ::tears::

eric said...

don't be too harsh on lifetime, tink. those women will put out a hit on you. they're serious about it, too ... especially if you're woman hater which i should just say are men in general.

katie ... that is a very true statement, i think a lot because we're taught in the ad/media/commerce world that we have a right to have whatever we want.

saw that about durant. y'all are casualty of that one year before they can join the NBA rule. but at least you had him for a year. i wonder if he even bothered to go to class.