Thursday, April 26, 2007

They Say To Eat Slowly Or You'll Get Cramps And Die, But ...

I never see as many buzzards circling the sky as I do when I go back home.

Where everything just seems to ... die. Presumably from apathy. Or, maybe, just stupidity that an absence of caring cultivates.

Which leads me to wonder:

Why is it that when I travel down the long rural road of despair where every species known to the Midlands of South Carolina seems to have succumbed along the roadside and cashed in its chips with a horrible expression on its lifeless face ... why is it that I find dead buzzards partially flattened and oozing intestines on the pavement?

All they do is fly around looking for something lying dead.

From such a high vantage point, surely they have to see how their meal met its demise.

They must understand more about death than any of us who haven't fought in a war or worked on a homicide unit ever could.

Buzzards don't kill, but they are acutely aware of death. It's, ironically, their life -- or as Obi-Wan would say, it's their "speh-shee-AL-ity."

But yet there they are. Partially crushed by a Michelin super-duper-maximum-ultra-weather-tread special, their expansive wings awkwardly straddling the double-yellow centerline.

All because they either refused or were too oblivious to leave -- for just one moment -- the dinner they scouted from the sky.

I suppose it should be said that I've never heard a cliche that involved a buzzard's recognition of its own irony.


9 comments:

Melissa said...

You'd really think they'd learn!

Poor little smashed buzzards ...

Rusty said...

Almost hit a buzzard before, but I was coming around a curve.

If these critters are on a straight-shot highway, they've got no excuse.

Tink said...

There are so many dead things on the way to my Mom's house that the buzzards have gotten jaded. You'll see them on the side of the road, about 20 feet from something dead, waiting for something else better to come along.

Jay said...

It's not easy to run over buzzards. You have to sneak up on them and sometimes have to get way over on the shoulder to get them.

Maybe the one you saw just committed suicide.

captain corky said...

Oddly enough, I've never seen a Buzzard in Kentucky. Plenty of Horses and Confederate flags, but no buzzards.

Cindy-Lou said...

I hear "speh-she-AL-ity" in the voice of that old guy in the Neverending Story. "It's my scientific speciality."

eric said...

maybe it's just me, but when that hairy and scaly, flying dragon laughed when atreiu first met him, i thought it was seriously evil.

Katie said...

haha...love that graphic.

There's a huge buzzard population out by my parent's house and it's always been so crazy to me how many end up dead on the side of the road. Armadillos? Sure. Racoons and possums? Sure. But a buzzard? I don't get it.

eric said...

seriously, i always thought being a buzzard was kind of a lazy-man's job. i suppose it has its workplace dangers.