Sunday, March 18, 2007

Crickets Chirping




Maybe someone more adept at pop cultural conundrums can answer this for me:

Why is it that Jon Stewart can be consistently funny, never faltering, four days a week?

Yet the incredibly overrated Weekend Update on "Saturday Night Live" regularly leaves uncomfortable silences (or worse, a faint smattering of laughter where you can only hear one woman trying to be into it) for millions to endure as they lay on their couches thinking they should stay up to watch this just because?

The fake news on "SNL" fell off in the '90s and found a resurgence with Tina Fey and Jimmy Fallon a few years back. Now, it's Amy Pohler and Seth Myers and it just isn't remotely funny to me.

This is supposed to be the premier comedy outlet for satire of contemporary culture ... and this is the best they can do?

They have a whole week to do this. Jon Stewart has a day most days and a three-day weekend for Monday to figure out how to make us laugh. And he does it just about every time.

Although, I do have to say ... I LOVE LASER CATS!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been years since I tuned in to SNL, having given up on it sometime in, I'm guessing, the late 80's.

But I agree about The Daily Show. The consistent quality is very impressive.

Jay said...

The Daily Show has far better writers and actually pays it's writers a living wage.

I don't watch SNL anymore either.

Cindy-Lou said...

The whole show sucks now. I stopped Tivo-ing it because I kept fast forwarding the whole time.

But remember when the Daily Show was really great? Before it got all super political and all they would do is screw with people?

Tink said...

I can't tell you the last time I watched SNL. They just... stopped being funny. And honestly, without that, what's the POINT?

Anonymous said...

Please please please please tell me that Laser Cats is where you fix some of those vibrating laser tag receivers to cats and then let them loose in the park - give them a starter for ten and go hunting - because that's a feckin genius idea!!!!!!

captain corky said...

Saturday night live hasn't been funny in a very long time. But I'm going to have to watch the Peyton Manning episode this weekend. He should be able to carry the show.

Melissa said...

The Daily Show is one of my favorites. I don't remember ever being disappointed by it, whereas SNL dropped off my radar years ago. I may watch it a few times a year, but end up asking myself whether I could have used the hour and a half to do something more enjoyable. Usually, the answer is yes.

Unknown said...

looks like the consensus is that nobody watches the show. i haven't seen it much.

simon ... that isn't what laser cats is, but you're right, man. that would be a KILLER game to play. we should patent it.

Rusty said...

Colbert Report pwnz The Daily Show

Katherine Zander said...

It looks like the only one paying attention to the camera is Charlie Sheen. Is that Charlie Sheen?

Never saw Laser Cats, but now I think I just may have to watch the show to get a glimpse of it.

eric said...

kz ... i've got a better idea. how about just youtube it so you don't have to pan the river.

eric said...

oh, and rusty ... sometimes. only sometimes. particularly when colbert coins a new phrase that gets branded into pop culture.