Friday, September 29, 2006

Mason Jennings



I don't spend a lot of time preaching the virtues of listening to certain artists.

Unlike books/movies/theatre, I never can trust that what I like will be what someone else likes.

Music's more ephemeral, tied to a subconscious accumulation of life experiences.

Trying to describe why you like music is so much different than describing why you like a movie. There's something more tangible about words and visual stimulation. The script and the actors. It's the soundtrack, though, that can almost imperceptibly tie it all altogether.

That said ...

Listen to Mason Jennings.

Why, you ask?

Just because.

You should also listen to the first four Black Sabbath albums.

If you want to. If that's your kind of thing.

I can unearth my internal dialogue to describe why I like the first four Black Sabbath albums, but it always just sounds so uselessly pretentious. Instead, I end up saying something like, "Man, Black Sabbath is the TRUTH!"

Or I just wear a Black Sabbath T-shirt.

I also wear a Mason Jennings T-shirt. The only problem is, nobody knows who he is.

(And I don't mean that in a ... "Oh, What do I like? Shit, man. Mason Jennings. You don't know who he is? I guess you shouldn't be expected to. You have to be ultra-cool to know about somebody who nobody knows about).

I saw him at the Georgia Theatre in Athens this week. There weren't a lot of people (taking the stage a little before midnight on a Tuesday might have played a part). But let me tell you, there was this vibe -- like a thing with the crowd where everyone was feeling Mason's energy and became one and ...

Hold on. Let me puke.

OK.

Now, let me do my best to tell you basically what kind of music he does and why I think it's so special.

Hold on. Let me puke again.

OK. I'm set.

Mason Jennings is a guy from Minnesota with a guitar and a small supporting band and a distinct, fluid voice inflection.

I refuse to use the term "earthy." Shit. This is hard.

OK ... his lyrics are the kind of concise poetry that makes you enjoy hearing how someone can say something in a way that you've never heard it said before -- and somehow end up feeling that there's no other way it could have been said.

He tackles relationships, faith, world events. You know, the whole singer/songwriter deal.

He's kind of a branch of the Jack Johnson/Ben Harper family tree. He's never recorded or toured with them, but he did provide a song for the "Shelter" surf video that Jack Johnson filmed. That got Mason some recognition among the crowd who likes Jack Johnson and Ben Harper (but at the same time isn't sure they should anymore, because everybody seems to know who they are now).

Look, that's the best I can do. Listen to it if you like that kind of music. You have to start with his 1998 self-titled debut, then go to the 2004 "Use Your Voice" CD before listening to the rest of his work. Otherwise, it might not work for you.

If I have to, I'll mail you a burned disc.

Check him out. You know you want to, because you've never heard of him.

And if you don't like it, well, I told you I sucked at this.

13 comments:

Jay said...

I know what you mean about how hard it is to explain WHY you like a certain artist or certain type of music.

Good recommendation here. Mason is good. I like it.

You can find a lot of him on YouTube.

Rusty said...

Yeah, very folky.

Cindy-Lou said...

You convinced me. (but you knew you would, didn't you?)

dan said...

i checked him out when you mentioned him before.

he's pretty cool. you should check james dean bradfield's solo work. he's pretty cool to, if not a little over produced.

Spo said...

sold!

eric said...

i'll have to check that out. i'm glad to finally hear someone who's heard of mason jennings.

my favorites have to be "big sur," "darkness between the fireflies" and "drinking as religion."

e+

eric said...

i just realized that mason toured with teddy thompson on his first leg this summer.

i didn't get to see him, though, because a chick from atlanta opened in his atlanta show.

tt was also on the brokeback mountain soundtrack with a song i know.

e+

Theo B. said...

Not that I'm proud to know this, but Mason did in fact tour with Jack Johnson and that was the first time I saw him and he was insanely better than Jack Johnson! I've seen him 8 times since and I love his music. I'm glad that you're a Mason advocate. Check out my recent pic with Mason.

eric said...

i'd love to see it, theo, but your site isn't showing up if i click on your name.

it says it's private.

e+

Anonymous said...

You cant forget about the song "Nothing" which has to be one of my favorites. Coming from a surfing background living in Ocean Beach, California the song "Nothing" can truly relate to how I being broke living in a cheap house with a bunch of my surfing friends all of us just making enough to keep a supply of wax, some munchies, and a little for rent lived. If you haven't taken the time to listen to his songs or even just read the lyrics you really need to just stop and give him a shot.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Nothing, but I also dig Butterfly. Both songs are on the Shelter DVD.

Victor E. Panther said...

First off, you're blog here -er, The Great Elsewhere is awesome. You have a great writing style. I now have it bookmarked. I started listening to Mason Jennings at the behest of an ex-girlfriend about 3 years ago. I listened to her burned disc of the self-titled album (with "Nothing"- yes that track is great), went (with my sister who is now a huge fan) to see him live at The Barrymore Theater in Madison, WI, proceeded to buy every single one of his albums (and the "Use Your Van" DVD- hey I had a lot of cash that weekend and I don't regret one item I purchased!) and, the rest is history. He is my favorite musical artist by far (and I love shitloads of different music).

Anyways- thanks for the great writing- I love reading.

Though I would not care about or pretend to discern your political leanings, if you ever get the chance, I have a blog about presidential candidate Barack Obama (and one that you'd probably care less about- a College Basket"Blog" for my Alma Mater, UWM in Milwaukee, WI).



Obama Gets It



Milwaukee Panther Tracks


Oh and I would be remiss if I didn't offer a rare track: Click here for the dusty old track, "Better Than That"

Anonymous said...

Been listening to mason for years, he's my favourite songwriter.

"The best artist you've never heard".