Sunday, April 23, 2006

"It Really Ain't No Love, It's About This Paper, Man"

"See, Man ain't like a dog. Now, when I say 'Man,' I'm talkin' 'bout 'Man' as in 'Mankind, not 'Man' as in 'men.' Men, well we a lot like a dog. You know, we like to piss on things. Sniff a bitch when we can. Even get a little pink hard-on the way they do. We territorial as shit, you know? We gonna protect our own.

But Man. He know about death. Got him a sense a' histry. Got religion. See, a dog, man, a dog don't know shit 'bout no birthdays or Christmas or Easter Bunny or none of that shit. One day God gonna come callin', so, you know, they goin' through life carefree. But people like you and me, man, we always guessin'. Wondering, 'What if?' You know what I mean?

So when you say to me, 'Hey, I don't think we should be doin' this,' I gotta say, baby, I don't think we need to be doing this neither. But we ain't gonna get no move on in this world lyin' around in the sun, lickin' our ass all day. I mean, we Man. I mean, you a woman and all, but we Man.

So with this said, you tell me what it is you wanna do with yo life."


---

I remember those little green receipts. Almost like money. Not quite money, but just as good if you wanted a toaster.

In an effort to attract customers, the grocery store employed this marketing strategy that allowed you to redeem your store receipts for gifts.

Knives. Toasters. Blenders.

The more you spent at the store, the more points you earned -- like earning ski ball tickets to trade in for a plastic whistle at the arcade. The difference was, you didn't actually have to put any money in the machine.

My Mom drove me out to that grocery store on Saturday nights. I'd hit the parking lot -- a little miniature hustler -- asking people for their green receipts, while Mom would sit in the car and smoke a cigarette with a friend and laugh about how easy it all was.

Sometimes, the people would tell me they were going to use them. Most of the time, they would just give them to me. Some looked perplexed as they handed them over; others passed them along with a knowing smirk and what in reflection seemed like a little bit of pity -- not pity as in "oh geez, look at this poor kid," but pity as in "this kid's going to grow up to be the worst kind of used-car salesman."

If the store crew that night was friendly, I'd grab a few receipts from the little trash baskets underneath the check-out counters.

When I was done, we'd head back to the apartment and Mom would add it all up.

"$68.12. $15.07. $100.44. You know, $203.72 more and we've got that blender."

We didn't necessarily need it. How does anyone absolutely have to have a blender? It was more that the opportunity was there to get something at the expense of manipulating a system.

We got that blender. And we got that set of knives (and a couple other sets for everybody else).

We got that toaster, too. We needed that a little more. Or at least I did. I made food with it when there wasn't anything for dinner.

---

You know how there's these movies that you can't necessarily say they're the best movies you've ever seen -- or even in your Top 10 -- but somehow you can recite more lines from them than you can remember how many times you've seen them?

I'm horrible at self-promotion. I couldn't sell a free bottle of drinking water to a thirsty man stranded on a raft for 10 days in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

But the next time I've got a job interview, I'm going to make sure I watch "Hustle & Flow" one more time.


7 comments:

Spo said...

Definitely well said - I had a post brewing on this one as well - it's like if you lay it out on the cold hard surface you can pick holes and see cliches with the story - bubblegum elements etc - but the performances, the script, the music - it really jumps it up a notch.

Terence Howard always sticks in the memory when he's in films - like in Crash, Harts war and Ray - and he really nailed this one - the fact that you can root for a guy who isn't the most sympathetic character to grace a movie screen - but damn it feels good when he twats Skinny Black.

And I always couldn't stand Anthony Anderson - when I found out he was in the new Scorsese remake of Infernel Affairs I was livid - but after seeing him in this and the Shield I have got faith in him.

"There are two types of people: those that talk the talk and those that walk the walk. People who walk the walk sometimes talk the talk but most times they don't talk at all, 'cause they walkin'. Now, people who talk the talk, when it comes time for them to walk the walk, you know what they do? They talk people like me into walkin' for them"

eric said...

those are my sentiments exactly, simon. the bubblegum phrase is the best i've seen to describe. maybe a little too much "8 mile" and not enough "boyz in the hood."

a little more edge and we're talking about a great movie that i don't have to semi-apologize for.

it's terrence howard, though. do you know that he spent a month living in a pimp's house and he interviewed more than 100 pimps and prostitutes? that's commitment, and it shows in his authentic black memphis accent (like, for instance, notice the way he says "need to get some 'sekerty' up in here" he runs that dude out of the bar at the beginning).

the music is a little weak, for me. "i ain't over" i fell in love with. i think somehow they thought that might actually be the song that stuck because of the way they played it up in the movie. the pimp song got the oscar, but that probably surprised them more.

i thought nola was pretty cool and well done. the pregnant hoe was kind of overacted. dj qualls was terribly cheesy and anthony anderson had moments where i wasn't believing it. but terrence howard ... man, i hope he gets in more movies now.

as for the quote ... i think you could probably say my mom talked me into walking for her. yep, she was definitely pimpin' me. she was good at that, i tell you.

e+

Rusty said...

Maybe I'll have to watch that.

dan said...

will that film help me get a job?

Jake said...

I was down and out, unable to do a thing. Employment scared me because it was too much like the real lives I've never experienced. Then I watched "Hustle & Flow" and realized if I was ever going to do anything I had to do something.

A week later I got my job. At work I met my woman.

Now I need to watch it again because if I'm ever going to be able to provide the kind of life she and out future children deserve, I've got to get hustling.

I'm downloading it now, going to watch it soon.

eric said...

jake, that's exactly where i was coming from.

as for your girl, sounds like ... "that's a bottom bitch fo you, mayne."

e+

Jay said...

That was a great story. And a great movie. That Terrence kid is really something else.