Monday, October 31, 2005

Super



When I was 5, I was Wonder Woman for Halloween.

My Daddy didn't like the Wonder Woman thing back in 1979. That was when the TV show was so popular, and I watched it religiously, before Bo and Luke Duke would soon come along.

In the store, she asked me if I was sure. I was.

My Mom's always been sort of iconoclastic, and she was confident in letting me explore my own imagination. And she always, always wins.



To me, the idea of Wonder Woman was all about the bracelets that would repel bullets, the tiara that was a potent boomerang, the lasso that made people tell the truth and that cool way Lynda Carter would spin around and magically have all her super-hero gear on, just like that, ready for action. Even more efficient than Clark Kent and his phone booth.

Sexuality is interesting at age 5. You're aware of the opposite sex. Women are provacative to you, conspicuous. Women, with their shiny long hair and their legs where the light reflect just so off their shin bones.

You have crushes on your kindergarten teachers.

You don't understand exactly why a woman is so fascinating. Wonder Woman had a deep-seated feminine appeal to my mind's eye that I wanted to emulate. When I was 5, girls weren't gross, nor did it seem that they necessarily had cooties. In fact, I kept multiple girlfriends all at once.

I had a fascination with gender. I was attracted to women at an early age. I saw them as these exotic creatures to ponder and explore, so thoroughly that I became one of them, I suppose. I truly didn't understand exactly what it meant to be a woman, or for that matter yet, a boy. I just knew I wasn't a girl.

Kindergartners have no concept of vagaries like intercourse. You just knew that pee-pees are strange things that you use to go potty, and that girls have to sit down to do it and that must really suck by comparison.

They say that there is a time in the womb where we are all proto-female; we are nothing more than human, before our code is set. The youngest of us are so close to that unspeakable wisdom, that oneness, of ceaseless curiousity, the benefit of just not knowing.

Perhaps my mom was wise in the ways of social and cultural development. Or she thought it was adorable and cute and sweet and all those things women like to say about kids that men cringe at. Or maybe she just wanted a laugh with her friends at my expense, which she was prone to do.

I think it was probably a little of all of them.

In any case, thanks for making it simple, guys.

You're super.



12 comments:

Spo said...

dude, you were wonder woman!? what were your parents thinking! surely that would never of been lived down in the hot fires of junior school piss taking!

Rusty said...

I would have never gotten away with that when I was five. Invisible jets are alright, I guess.

Jon said...

Wonderwoman, you were a free thinker very young. My youth's highlight was the headless horsman.

My little guy was batman this year, my teenage daughter went to her party as a flapper.

Wonderwoman???

eric said...

yeah, interesting isn't it?

i don't know exactly why, but it's something that i've never tried to bury and hide for fear of embarrassment. i just throw it out there sometimes. "hey man, did you know i was once wonder woman for halloween? what a trip."

i joined the boys by putting on an old superman t-shirt i've had for seven years. my wife pinned a bathroom towel to it and we stormed the neighborhood.

e+

dan said...

wonder woman...different

the woman who played her was on some either paul o'grady or parkinson the other night... i don't remember.

guy fawkes night is coming...mmmm...big fireworks and danger.

dan said...

feck.

Eric Lemming said...

I had the same ignorance when I was younger about the opposite sex. I was just a disgusting little freak of a kid back then so none of the girls actually liked me so I just did my best to blow spit bubbles to gross them out and such (which I still do of course. It just never grows old...And when I say I have a girlfriend they stare at my in amazment.) I actually thought that girls peed out their butt when I was little and my sister would always say "We don't pee out our butts!" but never told me more so I didn't know until amazingly 6th grade. And the thing about us all being female when in the womb is actually true acorrding to my biology teacher but it's not just in the womb it is actually the first 21 days everyone is technically female according to their levels of estrogen and testosterone. Weird huh?...

Chris said...

Can't say I ever had a female costume, but you did remind me that I had 2 simultaneous girlfriends when I was 5. Those were the days, before girls were gross but after the only that that mattered was your mom.

Rusty said...

I should have dressed up for halloween.

I'm sure I could have found some stilettos and red lipstick somewhere.

Anonymous said...

You give a glimpse into the 5 year old psyche quite well. I have had several 4 & 5 year olds with huge crushes on me. It was quite cute. They are always embarassed of it when they grow up. Maybe I get uglier as I get older? Well, that, and one of them was my little cousin.

dan said...

funny, i had multiple girlfriends at 5 and the other boys would make barfing sounds because we i always used to go for the girls when playing kiss-cat.

nowadays, i just find women want to change my behaviour. you know, i'm fun at first then they realise i'm actually a totally immature loser.

i like being a loser, but wish i was 5 again.

Spo said...

kiss chase with lise Lyne aged 11

she chased - I ran away

god damn my foolish young self - I ran away - she is stunning these days... absoloutely stunning

Eric teach your boys to sow those early seeds - be the kids who give the girls sweets and rescue them from hair pullers

and feign injury during kiss chase.