Thursday, April 29, 2010

Great ... Now It's Stuck In My Head

I was walking through the grocery store last night and heard that Carly Simon song, "You're So Vain."

I never liked that song, and I never really thought much about it.

But as I was looking at the SpongeBob SquarePants fruit snacks on the shelf, that famous line in the song struck me, "You're so vain/you probably think this song is about you."

I don't understand.

Maybe this isn't a new idea ... but if you're saying the song is about a specific guy -- and in your lyrics you make specific references to locales he has been etc. -- why would you carry on about how vain a guy is for thinking a song is about him when it's already clear that it is about him?

I know she feels like she's been thrown to the curb or whatever, but in this song I think the guy still comes out winning.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I disagree. I think it's more subtle than that. The song isn't about him. It's about what a fantastic asshole he is.

dan said...

This song is about me? And I'm a fantastic asshole?

Cool.

I read she re-released this song and whispers the name of who it is she sings about...backwards or something. Who cares?

I think it's more about how she believes the man is vain when in fact it's her that's insecure.

Dan said...

I always wonder the same thing when I hear this song. I think it is suppose to be ironic. Probably the line that made the song so popular.

Rusty said...

I have to agree with the ironic reading... though it is a fuckin' annoying song once it gets in one's head.

Cindy-Lou said...

I love grocery store music. They always play old love songs.

Anonymous said...

I loved the song when it first came out because I was dumped by this hot looking guy who knew he was hot looking. PERFECT TIMING!