Thursday, August 02, 2007

This Situation Feels A Lot Like Life

The sultry dusk sets in, and the vectors are emerging for the hunt.

It's been a day. My eyelids slowly close then quickly open again. I slap at my shoulders and forearms and feet as I watch the pedals make their revolutions.

My eyes drift shut again.

I can't fall asleep.

My blood will be theirs.

My eyes close, and I open them again.

Smack! And the blood of others splatters.

They are carriers of diseases that do not afflict them. We are immune only so far as we are willing -- or able -- to be.

They are making a life for themselves, yet it's the life they lead that matters.

It's not a life I can lead.

One of defending the actions of those who see their chosen path as simply "trying to make a living."

They are carrying the disease that is corrupting us, this disease that hurts only those who susceptible to it.

Those of us who still have it within us to care.

Right now, with the these bloodsuckers all around me, I just have to keep my eyes open.

And I can't help but think this situation feels a lot like life.

5 comments:

Rusty said...

Mosquitoes just want a little nourishment.

You should probably set up some flame-throwers.

Anonymous said...

Is there any truth to the rumor that everybody carries a Bounce dryer sheet in their pocket to ward off mosquitos?
As a former 'sea-level' dweller, your post really recreated the whole mosquito awareness. Thanks, I think :)

Nikky said...

Mosquitos huh?
Very cool, I have never heard them described so eloquently. Usually I just hear a slap and a "dammit, he got me"
They are the official bird of Minnesota, ya know!
;o)

Anonymous said...

they're a vital part of the ecosystem

dan

eric said...

mosquitoes are the carrier of the disease. they depend on your sustenance to make for themselves and give nothing but hurt.

feels a lot like corporate america.

fuck 'em.