Monday, August 27, 2007

The Factor Of X



The other day, I didn't feel like playing basketball anymore.

But a 6 ' 7" guy with dreadlocks told me it took him too long to wash his hair, so he needed to go ahead and give himself enough time and hit the showers before heading back to work, so I agreed to play so that the numbers worked.

As I walked onto the court, I told them, "I know why you want me to play. I'm the X Factor."

Now, that's a term used often in sports to describe ... well, I think it's to describe someone whose performance is critical to the game but in an unknown way.

Bob, the Braves can win this game, but the X Factor is going to be Oscar Villarreal, whether this everyday, forgettable pitcher can strike out a left-hander in a crucial situation that might or might not arise.

When I thought about what I said, I felt compelled to ask aloud the crucial question, the question that is the X Factor in determining the usefulness and very meaning of this term:

What is the value of X?

And that's when you realize.

Everyone is the X Factor. You can't predict what anyone's going to do.

You can't predict that the guy who sucks is going to suck worse than he normally sucks or will not suck enough to change things in your favor.

You can't predict how on his game your best player is going to be. Whether he'll score 46 points or just his regular -- but stellar -- 30.

The truth is, everything and everybody's an X Factor. Everything and everybody is something that is but isn't known until the future fulfills it.

These sportscasters really need to examine their metaphysics before stating the obvious.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The idea of sportscasters thinking about metaphysics strikes me as humorous, though I know that's being unfair. And I am the X factor.

eric said...

i don't know, david. spend a little time talking with the tv media and you might realize your statement is fair.

if you're the x factor, i give you permission to have the x factor symbol i drew up while under the influence tattooed on your body with no royalty fees.

Cindy-Lou said...

I have to say, this is one post I disagree with. The X factor is someone who has a wide range of performance. Barry Bonds is not an X factor. He may not hit a home run every game, but he'll score often enough to be counted on for a run. Some players suck, they suck every game and they will continue to suck. They aren't the X factor either. The X factor is someone who will score 20 times in a game or fumble the ball 20 times in a game. Way off to one side of the spectrum, but we don't know which side until after the game.

That's the X factor.

And I hate sports.

eric said...

i see your point. but i would argue that the person who is that unpredictable, in fact, sucks by the very nature of his inconsistency.

x factor is a term used by the lazy when they don't want to appear to be hedging, when that's what they're really doing.

Jay said...

So everybody is an X factor.

But, not everybody is a 5 tool player.

Not everybody can hurt you from anywhere on the court.

Some people are shooters. Some are scorers.

Some people come up big in big situations

Some step up their game when needed too.

Some players are just winners. They know how to win.

Don't forget your impact players. They can take over a game.

Some people are role players and some spark plugs.

And of course you have your throwback players. They're old skool.

Okay I'll stop now.

Sports cliques are great.

eric said...

and some have a nose for the end zone.

a killer instinct.

a sixth sense.

and then, of course, there's always the 12th man.

captain corky said...

What would broadcasters say if they didn't spout out cliches? I wonder what they're going to say about Peyton Manning now...

Rick Rockhill said...

we need some action shots of the x factor at play...