Saturday, August 19, 2006

Ballad For My One True Love




I always made such a fuss over her.

My beloved.

I was 8 years old. My Mom had sent me to a six-week-long summer camp for crazy children (even though I was quite level-headed ... then -- but, boy, were those kids crazy). Visitation wasn't allowed.

Mom spent that time galavanting around with a guy from Fort Lauderdale. When they came to pick me up from crazy camp, they told me they were getting married. A few weeks later, they were.

He was a Navy vet, a firefighter, and he had a tattoo of a flag of Fort Lauderdale with a heroin spoon as the flag pole. In short, he was like every other guy she ended up with (well, thankfully except for my Dad).

They took me on their "honeymoon" to (where else?) Fort Lauderdale.

I'd never been out of South Carolina.

We headed across the Everglades to Naples to stay with my uncle and do some fishing in the Gulf of Mexico. Everyone was catching something that day. Mostly Sheepshead.

I had spent that whole hot, August day in 1982 watching everyone reel in fish after fish as my pole stayed frustratingly motionless, except for the little teases that come with the steady up-and-down sway of the sea waves.

I was upset. I had a bad temper. The adults celebrated incessantly in some kind of Masters Of The Sea circle jerk.

Then, I felt my line tug.

And there she was. Into my life.

My beloved. The Ladyfish.

How beautiful her name sounded. So elegant and exotic, just destined to be hooked by a sawed-off, gap-toothed conquistador like myself. I, too, was a Master Of The Sea.

We took the picture and stuck it in the photo album.

---

For the entirety of my teenage years, I showed that picture to anyone who had eyes to see.

Me and the guys would finish our shift bagging groceries at the Winn-Dixie and head down to the farm pond to fish. We'd usually catch at least a largemouth bass, maybe more. Sometimes we came back with nothing. No matter, whenever I got back to the apartment, I could always open up the photo album and gaze upon my Temptress of the Gulf.

Every now and then, I'd be watching television by myself. I'd see the album. I'd open it up and just ... stare.

You might say she was my first love.

---

My uncle had moved up to South Carolina not too long after I reeled her into my heart. He had to cut out of Naples abruptly. The words you heard when adults talked and underestimated your ability to understand was that my uncle was fixing airplanes for drug dealers.

As I grew older, I never talked with him much. He liked guns and motorcycles (and pointing out the muffler burns that branded his calves and the scars of skin-ripped knee caps). He embraced a necessity of violence. He also had a big heart (as hardened as it was) and an obsessive sense of justice.

That's why he kept 15 dogs and 11 cats on his property. The number changed depending on what animal was found along the roadside or what animal had to be put down after hundreds of dollars spent on medication or surgery on any particular day. I never looked forward to negotiating a maze of electric fences to keep this dog from that dog because this dog doesn't like these three dogs and this one's in heat and ...

I never talked with the guy from Fort Lauderdale, either, because he had taken off back to Fort Lauderdale without us.

Then one day I was 19. I was in college. It was October. It was cold. My uncle called me up to tell me he had a boat and wanted to go out for a day of fishing on Lake Murray.

The last time I went fishing with him, it was warm, the water was Kool-Aid, you could stand on the coral reefs and cast your line and ...

I went.

---

We were freezing. The water was choppy. The fish weren't feeling it.

But there was a time when they were. When we were the gods of the Seven Seas.

When ... she ... came into my life.

---

Speaking of the biting cold (and not of near-tropical, summertime Florida breezes):

There's that moment in the Coen brothers classic "Fargo" where Marge Gunderson is driving in the cold Minnesota snow and realizes she's been lied to.

It's a striking scene: A homely pregnant policewoman from eventless Brainerd, Minn., staring through the windshield, letting it all sink in, in a sobering moment of betrayal.

She's on a fact-finding mission in Minneapolis to investigate the murder of a policeman and innocent motorists in her hometown.

Marge happens to meet a former high school admirer who -- in an attempt to get her to sleep with him -- tells her his wife died of cancer. She believes gives him her sincerest condolences. She calls a friend the next day who tells her that the woman who was supposedly his wife wasn't his wife and didn't, in fact, die of cancer. Even more, she could call her up and talk if she'd like.

It's on the drive back that Marge digests it all. People lie. That's what Jerry Lundegaard -- the bumbling used-car salesman unwittingly behind all the suffering -- did. He lied to her about a missing car that was registered to his lot and used during the killings.

She heads back to the dealership. This time, she's intent on the truth. The used-car salesman bolts and her persistent investigative work brings about a solution -- and a moral -- to the movie's tragic end.

---

Marge Gunderson was a believer who, through betrayal, became a more-dogged seeker of truth.

I was -- at the age of 19, on a cold, wind-torn morning -- a disbeliever who, through a lifetime of betrayal, became a dogged seeker of myths.

I didn't want to know about things. At least not any more than I already did know about things.

I just wanted ... her. My sweet, exquisite, sublime Madonna.

---

"Damn, Eric, these fish aren't biting."

"I know ... but, hey, you remember down in Florida? That Ladyfish I caught?"

"Ladyfish?"

"Yeah. On your boat, down in Naples. All day I didn't catch anything. Then just as we were about to head back, I caught that Ladyfish."

"Oh, yeah. I remember that. I caught that fish. We hooked it on your line so you'd feel like you did something."

He laughed and cast his line out.

I threw mine out, too.

The line tugged as the water shifted.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're an exceptional writer, and this was a terrific piece. Seriously.

dan said...

all i caught first time was minnows and sticklebacks.

nobody stuck a big fish on my hook. great story.

eric said...

thanks, osprey. i hope you keep up with your new project. i really liked that initial post.

mamalujo ... yes, i'm not good. i mean, i think i know what i'm doing up until the point where i'm wanting them to bite.

dan, i've never heard of a stickleback.

e+

Cindy-Lou said...

That totally bites, no pun intended. He shouldn't have told you. Some things should just stay buried.

eric said...

cindy, i expect no less. there's always this large capacity for understanding yet no clue when to apply it. some people are just like that (umm ... no, not me. nope. no way).

duckie ... don't think i didn't think about it. let's just say that put me in a defeatist kind of mood when i was already about to fail out of school.

but, hey, the way i look at it is that it's not his fault i'm a whiny, sentimental little wussy. well, maybe. just a little bit.

e+

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of when I was 16 working at Eckerds. They asked me if I would work 12 hrs on Christmas Day for holiday overtime (which was triple what I usually earned an hour). So of course I said yes. I went in, I put in my hours without a break. I could not WAIT to get that monstrous paycheck (monstrous at the time, I only made 6 bucks an hour regularly). Well, week after week passed without my getting paid for Christmas. I was given various excuses about the time not being entered properly by the store manager, they were waiting for the "home office" to do something, I needed to sign this or that form... blah blah blah. The weeks turned into a couple of months. Keep in mind that all the while Mom and Dad were bitching at me daily about whether or not I had gotten paid and why I wasn't being more aggressive about it. So I finally went in there one afternoon for work and told them that I needed my check or I was walking. And the store manager acted totally cowed and gave me 75% of my pay in cash, and told me I'd get a check that Friday. And I did. I was so proud of myself for getting the balls up and marching in there and accomplishing something... Then my mom told me years later that my dad had called the night before all that and had blessed the manager out. It wasn't me that the manager was scared of... damn.

eric said...

i remember that ordeal. i didn't realize that had gone down that way, though. something reminds of santa claus about the whole thing.

e+

Tink said...

"Oh, yeah. I remember that. I caught that fish. We hooked it on your line so you'd feel like you accomplished something."

Oh no way! LMFAO. That is priceless. Couldn't he have just let you go on believing though? I mean, throw a dude a bone...er fish. ;)

eric said...

oh, so you're saying they should throw fish towards me? am i that inept? just don't even try to fool me anymore because i'm so pathetic? :)

e+

dan said...

in the voice of nelson from the simpson's: "HA HA! eric doesn't know what a stickleback is!"

but then i'd never heard of a ladyfish either.

tink, we should make fish slapping (slapping people with fish rather than the other way round), rather than throwing, an olympic sport.

Spo said...

You are the best writer I read - books, blogs, papers what ever

Stand out by a long way

Also truely one of the worlds flat out decent people

I loved this post.

eric said...

thanks, simon. that's quite a compliment coming from an intelligent and witty guy like yourself.

i thought you might enjoy that one.

e+

Tink said...

Dan: You start it, I'll back it!

Eric: Well... They had to hook your line with an already caught fish. And you want to argue fishing ineptness with me? LOL.

eric said...

true, true

e+